News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

first tiger

Started by khf, November 26, 2006, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khf

hi guys,just got my first tiger,95,30,000miles on clock,have you got any tips or any warnings !.why do u call them steamers ? thanks for any advise you give :D

wonko the sane

Hi, congratulations on the purchase of your Tiger.

I was about to suggest doing a search for steamers to find answers to your questions, but decided to do it myself to see what comes up.  Hoo Boy!  :roll:   There's a lot there, but it might take the rest of the winter  to get through it all.

This one might be helpful:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... ht=steamer

And this one:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... ht=steamer

If I remember right, Steamer refers to the older models, supposedly having steam gauges.  Similar to the way pilot's refer to older airplanes, the ones without "glass cockpits."  Modern airplanes have video games,  sorry, video screens versus a panel full of gauges.

:D

I kept looking for "stickies" with answers to your questions, but we haven't compiled them yet.   :oops:
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

bosun

can't answer your questions but welcome to the site. loads of useful info on here.

http://www.t595.net  is useful for info & local meets aswell.

german

Congratulations, I recommend to verify the frame rear area more precisely under seat, I did a long trip together with one tiger 95  and this part of the frame was broken, it  was necessary to weld it.

Of course, that bike had a lot of weigh.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

diggerT

I have a 93 steamer bought a couple of months ago which was home serviced by the previous owner. It generally seems fine but either starts first prod of the button or needs a lot of perserverance. I think the starter motor may need an overhaul but I also read something about ignition coils on here.

I definitley need a new battery so will replace this and the plugs and see how it runs

Are the earlier models prone to dodgy starting or is it just mine?

Anything else to check?

Cheers

Digger

I suggest rideing the SNOT out of it.... Treat it like it wants to be treated.... Flogg it!

Above all have fun.

Pretty solid machine.

mhutch

Watch for your pick up coil going out. This is the wire that enters the case cover on the right side.  When this happens the bike will just die.  When the bike cools down a bit it will start up again until it gets warm and it will die again.  I just changed mine at 50,000 miles and have no idea if it was changed before.  Heard that they go about 20-30kmiles.  And, as stated in the post above... enjoy it.

BTW I have a 95 as well and LOVE it.  have put 10000 on her in the last year with no major problems other than the pick up coil.

Oh yeah, and are the best looking Tigers!