News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger engine oil?

Started by Idhosam, November 27, 2006, 05:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

99Tiger

I just ordered two US gallons of Amsoil 10W/40 motorcycle oil part # MCF1G, they cost me $73.76 delivered to my house.  I figured since my tiger is new and under warranty I should go by the manual and use a MA rated oil.  Amsoil was cheaper than Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W/40 and the easier to find Mobil 1 10W/40 (autozone).

I may switch to Shell Rotella T  after my warranty runs out.   8)

Happy Riding!
Real and lasting Peace of mind is found only in God

06 Tiger

Too many to list

Ken O'Rourke

Hi, I'm new to this forum or any forum at that. Just a short story about my 05 Tiger.It always used oil, when I asked Triumph Aust how much was acceptable they could not give me an answer. It got worse and was useing about 300ml per 1000Km (@16000Km) before they decieded to do something about it. It took them 3 months and they replaced the rings and valve seals and they could not find what caused it. When I got it back it was and still running very poorly so I checked the easy things and found the clean side of the air box was full of dust, the air box did not seal around the lid or the idle-air valve.If you do a lot of dirt riding please check this.The dealer claims that the bike is running fine, not the opinon of most people that hear it. I have a manual but without the Triumph hand controller there is not much I can do with the fuelling, is there a cheaper uint or can the programes be downloaded to a lap top. The thinking here is that most new engines should not have full synth oil untill about 10,000Km if ever and that semi synth is fine. The dealer had put full synth in mine at the first service.

Cheers Ken

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Ken O'Rourke"Hi, I'm new to this forum or any forum at that. Just a short story about my 05 Tiger.It always used oil, when I asked Triumph Aust how much was acceptable they could not give me an answer. It got worse and was useing about 300ml per 1000Km (@16000Km) before they decieded to do something about it. It took them 3 months and they replaced the rings and valve seals and they could not find what caused it. When I got it back it was and still running very poorly so I checked the easy things and found the clean side of the air box was full of dust, the air box did not seal around the lid or the idle-air valve.If you do a lot of dirt riding please check this.The dealer claims that the bike is running fine, not the opinon of most people that hear it. I have a manual but without the Triumph hand controller there is not much I can do with the fuelling, is there a cheaper uint or can the programes be downloaded to a lap top. The thinking here is that most new engines should not have full synth oil untill about 10,000Km if ever and that semi synth is fine. The dealer had put full synth in mine at the first service.

Cheers Ken

Sorry to hear about your bike.  But the "no synthetic until it is broken in" is also a mechanics myth.  Every motor I have built since the mid 80's has had synthetic in it from the very first start up.  Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Corvette, Jag, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and many others all have synthetic oil in them from the start.  

Your oil burning was probably more of a product of poor break in procedures than what oil you ran.  And by poor break in procedures I mean following the manual, dont do it.  Run it like you stole it.  Being easy on a new motor is actually hard on the motor.  The motor needs some firm acceleration and engine braking decelerations right from the first start up to seat the rings properly.  This is why I insisted on being at the dealership when they fired my bike for the first time.  I was suited up and hit the freeway immediately.  I kept rolling on the throttle from 50-70mph and decelerating back down until the motor warmed up fully.  Then I gave her the boot.  I would go from 40ish to 90ish under about 3/4 throttle and then decelerate back down.  I did this for about 20 miles.  Drove it back to the dealer and changed the oil.  From there on out I drove it as I would drive any bike.

Ken O'Rourke

Thanks for the reply, I had pretty much ran it in as you said, I think the problem was the dust  the engine. Any thoughs on the fueling ?

Cheers Ken

iceweazel

for fueling on the FI'ed tigers, you can look into Tuneboy.  I believe they are even out of AUS.   tuneboy.com.au suggests that anyway.

I believe it works on the steamers as well, but I would guess it was ignition only. :wink:

I've heard good things from the local Daytona guys, but haven't tried it out myself.