News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger battery problem...

Started by Frank.B, October 29, 2003, 07:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank.B

I have had my new Tiger for just eight weeks now, but over the last couple of weeks the battery has become a little lazy, and today it  went completely flat requiering booster cables to start her up. :(

The Tiger is used daily and when garaged it is connected to an Optimate battery charger, these chargers have battery condition lamps to indicate the condition of the battery ie; good/weak etc, but the yellow (charging) lamp is constantly ON, never going into condition mode.

Although the the bike is only eight weeks old I suspect the battery to be at fault and I will be contacting my Triumph dealer with regard to a replacement.

My question, Is the battery and/or the charging system on the 955i Tigers a weak spot?  Have any other Tigger owners experienced similar problems on a new or fairly new machine?......any advice would be appreciated

Frank.B
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Chris Canning

Hi Frank

I'd say not,my 955 is two years old now,i've had it in bits for nearly 8 weeks wired up to an Optimate,fired straight away,normally i've found if a battery is down it'll take a couple of days for a Optimate to bring back to full charge,but i have had a instance where i didn't connect it properly and had the same problem as you,i use the Optimate accessorie that plugs into the jack plug.

Chris

Robbie

frank

one thing that can cause the battry to lose charge is if you have the headlight conversion.

now tigers are supplied with only one headlight for dip and one for main many owners fit relays to bring on both lights. it appears that some tigers need special relays to do this (mine did) the relays have a diode in the coil circuit that stop the bike back feeding the relay when off.

if you have fitted standard relays then test them by slowly pushing and pulling making and braking contact with the ignition off you should be able to hear and feel them clicking if they are the wrong ones.

if you havent done the conversion then back to the dealers with a not impressed look
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Frank.B

Robbie you are a star! :D

Following your advice I checked the relays, and yes they did click. Also I noticed that they were quite warm even though the bike had been standing for a couple of hours.

It should have been obvious to me that  it could be the relays causing this problem as it only developed after fitting them :oops:  

So, I shall see if I can locate the correct ones at my local Triumph shop and fit them on saturday......It's so much better with two headlights on these dark cold mornings......

Many thanks.

Frank.

Robbie

no problem Frank

the usual rate for proper digosis is a pint of ale

where about in Lancs are you?

i am based on the Wirral and spend some time in Lakes and Peaks

i hope to plan a Tiger ride soon you are welcom to come along keep an eye on Yahoo tiger rides

Frank.B

Hi Robbie.

Yes, the Beer's on me.  :lol:  I have removed the offending relays and the battery has fully recharged over the weekend and is in good condition.

We, that is Liz my wife and I live in Skelmersdale,  No doubt you will have passed close by our place on one of your trips up to the Lakes?.....We would be glad to join up with you for a ride out somwhere....Winter is'nt a reason not to ride!.....is it?

E-mail me if you have anythinng planned, or if your just passin' thru Lanc's and would like to call in for tea & scones!!....

Best wishes.

Frank and Liz.

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

Haveing just fallen in the door from Valencia(GP) and no apart from race day the weather was no better than in the UK!!! difficult to believe but true,haveing seen the posting about the relays,i have them but don't have the problem,the reason being they've been on the work bench in the garage for two months!!! just haven't got round to fitting them,had them from a Triumph dealer part number T2500077 Relay EFI on them is that correct????

Chris

Robbie

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_tiger_rides/

Frank have a look on this site ^^^ for UK Tiger rides

Chris

not knowing the part no but there is a diagram on the side of the relay and if correct there is a >] symbol on the coil circuit