News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

"HELP" Rear Caliper 03 Tiger

Started by Clemski, December 24, 2006, 07:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clemski

Washed the bike today, and had a hell of a job pushing her out of the garage. The bloody rear caliper is well and truly seized on, I use her everyday for work, and did'nt have a problem pushing her into the garage friday. O well managed to get the caliper off, after a right fight with it and soaking with penetrating oil. It would seem that the rear piston ihas had it, I've managed to free it for know, but I'm thinking a new caliper is the order of the day, I could not get the rear retaining pin out for the pads, can anybody let me know the secret, I removed the screw in cap at what appears to be the end of the pin, but could not move it,

Cheers Clemski :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Frank.B

Hi.

Make sure you have a good fitting allen key socket. Secure the caliper so it cannot move. Apply some heat to the immediate area of the pin with a blow lamp or heat gun hairdrier, hot water etc. Apply a firm pressure to the allen socket in an anti clockwise motion. It will either move or it wont. Worse case scenario is that you will round off the pin. Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Clemski

Quote from: "Frank.B"Hi.

Make sure you have a good fitting allen key socket. Secure the caliper so it cannot move. Apply some heat to the immediate area of the pin with a blow lamp or heat gun hairdrier, hot water etc. Apply a firm pressure to the allen socket in an anti clockwise motion. It will either move or it wont. Worse case scenario is that you will round off the pin. Frank.

Cheers mate, I'll give that a go  :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Foxy

I've found the rear is prone to seizing in the long term, so make sure you reassemble carefully and take care to clean thoroughly when you change pads in the future. I've rebuilt my rear caliper once so far, and so bought myself a second hand spare on ebay. Typically the pad retaining pin is also well and trully stuck so it's still sitting on my workbench. Must get it sorted in case I do ever need it!

ALWAYS coat the threads on the pins with Copperslip. Just the thread mind. Makes it FAR easier to remove them later.

ALWAYS clean the caliper out with "Brake cleaner" every time the pads are changed or you have the wheels out for a tyre change. Making sure you get right into every nook and cranny with an old tooth brush.

I also give the pins a rub with some emery cloth to clean the crap off.

Peventative maintenance.