News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Side stand break

Started by Foxy, January 24, 2007, 06:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy

Interesting one this morning - binned the Tiger on snow and ice. In the process the side stand was struck. Unfortunately it was torn off the bike in the impact or slide. And with it went the bracket, and with the bracket went a chunk of the crankcase. Goodbye engine...goodbye Tiger, unless a £1900 set of crankcases magically appears overnight!

Not heard of this damage occuring with a Tiger before, so thought I'd mention it.

Try getting the broken bit welded back onto the c/cases. Unless it's an insurance job, of course.

Jim S

I have heard of this, apparently most 955i's that end up in the breakers yard here in the UK suffer the same problem. The most common side to go down on due to braking is the left, which unfortunately puts the stand on the deck.

Just hope I don't have that problem, although, insurance would just have to pay for a new engine!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Foxy

My dealer has recommended against trying to get the cases repaired. A new crankcase is as mentioned, astronomical. Did try about for a second hand engine but nothing immediately forthcoming and even if I did I'd be looking at an engine with unknown history in a 50,000 mile old chassis. The insurance company will hopefully soon be offering a doubtless pitiful value for the bike and I'll be on the look for something new.

Mudhen

Ouch...sorry to hear that, Foxy.  Will you be getting another Tiger?

What year was your bike?

Pat
\'96 Steamer

Foxy

Mine was a 1999. Still waiting for the insurance company to pull their fingers out. Been looking around and I can't think of what else would suit my needs as well as a Tiger so it is 95% certain to be another Tiger. Sat on and had a look at the new 1050 during the week and I do actually like it alot, although luggage would probably have to be fabricated to suit the amount of crap I sometimes carry. Have also seen a very keenly priced low mileage 955 that might tip it that way - atleast I could use my existing luggage set up.

In the mean time I'm depending entirely on my 350 Enfield.