News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Convince me to get a Tiger?

Started by WIDGIN, January 22, 2007, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Sasquatch, thank you for those great photos and roads. Your father must be quite a guy to take such a heavy machine down them at his age. Hope I'll be able to do the same if I make it that far!

Cheers

He is my favorite riding partner.  But like I said, we gave up the Tigers this year for serious off road use in favor of a pair of KLR's.  We still love our Tigers, but we will keep them more on paved or improved dirt roads.  Dad is just getting too old (65) to be picking up a loaded 600lb machine.  I think he would rather just shoot it.

WIDGIN

Alright guys,  you did such a good enough job convincing me that today I picked up my new TIGER.  :D

Sasquatch, the third picture in your series was the clincher.  I expect to go down similar paths in the near future.

I had three used ones at different dealers to choose from and had a hard decision between a Silver 2006 with 4,400 miles, a Green 2005 with 1,925 miles or a Silver 2003 with 10,000 miles.    :?

Picked the Green 2005 with 1,925 miles.  It has Triumph Offroad Exhaust, Triumph Bags (duh), Triumph Topcase, Triumph Gelseats for rider and pinion, Triumph tankbag, Triumph heated grips, and a Garmin Street Pilot III.  Cost me my Sportster and exactly $2K.  8)

Has three small scuffs from when it was tipped over once.  :roll:  One scuff on the fairing, an almost unnoticable one on the tank, and a small one on the topcase.  Already ordered some British Racing Green touchup paint.

Bike was owned by the GM's dad of my local Triumph dealer so I feel pretty good about being taken care of.  Almost bought the 2006 from a HD dealer for $500 more but decided that the lower mileage, the extras, and the fact that I'd need to buy parts from this shop regardless of which bike I got swayed me.  

Really love the sound of that triple through that exhaust.  :smt040
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Sasquatch

Welcome to the insanity...

WIDGIN

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Welcome to the insanity...

Thanks,

I'll probably go with Touratech bars/skid-plate (no centerstand installed), Worth springs, somebody's radiators protectors, somebody's footpegs.  And some TKC's or similar when I wear out these new Anakee's.  

One question.  This bike has had the Triumph tall W/S installed.  I'm 5'9 with a 31-32 inseam.  Do you think the standard W/S would reduce buffeting?  Wasn't bad on the 25 mile blast up the highway, but I never took bike with standard W/S on highway to compare.  I realize that this is a loaded question but would appreciate any guidence.
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

speedjunkie

Congrats on the scoot!   8)

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

GatorTiger

Believe you me: you won't regret this day!!!!!  8)
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "rbike"I'm not typical HD, don't want to go to their parties, tired of the loud pipes, etc.  Bought it in spite of the HD "image" and never wanted to fit in. Do love the engine, sound, and it's astounding reliability.

Awesome statement of the real reality of the "HD counter-culture" You never wanted to fit into the mainstream v-twin culture! Congratulations! If you want to stand out and be different then saddle up the Tiger.  You are riding the best "all-arounder" made, and you won't fit in.

You want sound? Break in that triple and put on a race pipe. Whack the throttle to about to 9000 rpms and shatter all the glass in your local subburbia.  As for reliability?  I never set foot in a dealership for a broke anything in over 12K.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Advwannabe

Congratulations rbike,

Green is a good colour too. I think the Tiger is the very best all roads bike available and gives me a grin every time I get on it.  

Re buffeting, the thread started in this forum on the date listed below has some discussion of the main ideas including some experiments I've tried. I concede that there are areas of subjectivity on the subject of noise and buffeting, but use this discussion and other threads on the subject as your starting point then go from there.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: windshield recs

FWIW I normally run with no screen as I love the quiet smooth airflow. The downside is a lot of windpressure on your chest. On longer runs I bolt on an Eagle +125 screen. Its still noisey, but with the mirror extenders the buffeting is greatly reduced.

Others have solutions they prefer. If you do stumble across the gold bullet for this issue let the rest of us know!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

WIDGIN

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"
Quote from: "rbike"You want sound? Break in that triple and put on a race pipe. Whack the throttle to about to 9000 rpms and shatter all the glass in your local subburbia.  

Bike came with the race pipe installed and mapped and does sound awesome.  Almost reminds me of the old Kawasaki 750 two-stroke triple sound.  :twisted:  Triples rule.
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Bliker

rbike,

Sorry I took so long to reply. Georgia has all types of Na. Forest roads. Alot of them start out smooth and then change as you go. I'm sure you won't be disapointed with the Tiger, it's  a great bike. It will take you where ever you feel comfortable taking it. I've taken mine on roads similar to the pictures Sasquatch has posted. I just get nervous when it gets to rough, and all I see are $$$$ signs. I also have the stock tires, the knobs my make a big dfference off road. I don' have a skid plate or crash bars. I bought my tiger for touring and some back roads. I like to keep it clean and free of scratches. Others bought it more for the offroad/trails riding, and it works well for them.  Have fun and ride it like you want to.
2004 Tiger