News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger flat battery

Started by aussietiggar, February 06, 2007, 01:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: "Sasquatch"I can run a full heated jacket liner, grips, socks and my GPS no problem.

So can I.

The bike, when working properly can cope with a lot more than that.

TripleFan

I've now narrowed the issue to something about the motolights, maybe. The bike will charge at 13.8 V +/- at anything over 2k when it's first started, lights on or off. After 30 minutes, it'll show 14 V with the lights off and 12.5 V +/- with the lights on. That's whether I've ran them or not.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

aussietiggar

I do not think it is any thing to do with load, I simply charged my battery for 10 mins with a heavy duty charger and have not had a problem since.

I lashed out and purchased a Haynes manual it mentions 2 or 3 times Triumph does not have any test details for the different charge system bits and pieces so not very helpful.

I am fairly sure that the problem is just a characteristc of the electronic charge/voltage regulator, if the bike has been left for a while, the battery starts loosing charge there may be enough charge to just start the engine but the extra voltage drop turns off the charge regulator and cannot charge a near completely flat battery I have seen this on some modern battery chargers.

The simple solution is the bike should be ridden as often as possible.

Also if it does play up again I will try a better quality battery.

Happy Riding

german

yesterday after 600km riding between 4 at 6k RPMs I had the same problem, Three weeks ago I replaced the battery due to flat battery,
after this problem, I had decided to return, after 500km I had observed , riding at 5k rpms the indicator showed  0 rpms a couple of times for some seconds.
Usually I like to do longer trips, I need a bike with excellent reliability

some of you have any concrete solution of this problem?
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

german

Dear aussietiggar, what was the finish of flat battery history?
because i have the same problem, i have replaced the batt but is the same.

Thanks for your comments.

Quote from: "aussietiggar"My 2005 Tiger has an electrical problem, left me stranded.

The battery went flat while riding, after 2 jump starts got home.

I checked the charge rate the voltage drops with RPM.

Can any one confrim  what the charger output should be at various RPM's.

I was riding with a bunch of BMW's it was painfully embarrasing.

The Tiger only has 3000km's on it.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´