News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starting problems, sprag clutch?

Started by diggerT, March 05, 2007, 09:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I have 93 Steamer which runs fine but can be a pig to start. Sometimes it is on the button, other times it just about catches before the battery gives up, although I have had the battery checked and it is OK. It has new plugs etc and the carbs are checked and good. I have read about the sprag clutch on earlier models, it is quite noisy, does this affect the starting in this way if it is dodgy? It looks like quite a task replacing it although I do have an early engine which apparently have an access panel

Any help or tips appreciated

Cheers

DiggerT

TigerTrax

Digger..

You may very well have a sprag clutch problem.... but first:

1. Your battery MUST be in top notch. It must be able to hold a charge and deliver cranking amps on those olders Steamers.... or you'll blow the clutch. Every Steamer rider should take heed ... ALWAYS HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY!

2. Check your sidestand switch to make certain it is NOT creating a problem for you.

3. Make certain your alt/regulator are charging the battery properly.

4. In hopes for something simple.... make certain your carbs are getting ENOUGH gas and it is CLEAN. There are 2 filters in your gas line:

At the fuel valve and at the carbs feeder tube. ( Pull the carb filter and install an in-line filter just below the fuel valve. Check float bowls for sediment from tank. Older tanks have been known to dissolve particles and create some problems. Finally... check the vent tube filter and gas cap venting system ( try starting with gas cap open ).

5. Fully charge or get a new battery and start your bike

IF it is a sprag clutch .... you must break the engine cases. A shop will charge you about $1500 or more for that job. If you do it yourself....

you will be in the engine ... and that's your call.

Good Luck
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

diggerT

Thanks for you input, I just changed the starter motor as it was getting slow and I think this didn't do the battery any favours. It says in the Haynes manual there was a modified starter clutch assembly available and the early engines can be accesssed via a plate on the top of the engine

I will start with the battery and work form there, carbs should be OK as a mechanic has recently had them off and cleaned 'em while replacing starter and airbox

Much appreciated advice

DiggerT

Mudhen

Quote from: "diggerT"Thanks for you input, I just changed the starter motor as it was getting slow and I think this didn't do the battery any favours. It says in the Haynes manual there was a modified starter clutch assembly available and the early engines can be accesssed via a plate on the top of the engine

I will start with the battery and work form there, carbs should be OK as a mechanic has recently had them off and cleaned 'em while replacing starter and airbox

Much appreciated advice

DiggerT

I thought that even though the early bikes had the access plate, the early sprag was NLA and you had to use the later (bigger) sprag...which meant machining the case.  I read somewhere that the dealers had a template and tool for doing this (sort of like a dremel).

Just what I've read around here, though...I have no experience with it - knock on wood!
\'96 Steamer