News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Slack

Started by navajo oshley, February 18, 2007, 02:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navajo oshley

I adjusted my chain per my owners manual at 1.5" of slack at mid point.  Had my bike on the center stand when I adjusted it.

Had to take it to the dealer for an unrelated problem.  They noted on my bill that the chain was dangerously tight and they re-adjusted it.  :shock:

Chain is quite loose now.

What is the proper way to adjust? On center stand or side stand?  What amount of slack.  :?:  :?:

Deano

I have had the same problem.  I have the Haynes manual which says to adjust while on the centre stand.  This results in a very tight chain becuase of the amount of suspension movement.  Therefore, the best way to adjust is with the rider on board an someone else taking the measurements.

Any better ideas?

Cheers

Dean

Advwannabe

Hi Deanno,

I don't have a shop manual and the owners book is a little vague, so in the absence of someone with more tigger experience.....

The tightest your chain will ever be is when the sprocket, swingarm pivot and swingarm bolt are in a straight line. Have a friend push down on the seat. If you have some (<10mm) slack when the swingarm is in this position you're o.k. I checked this when I first got my bike and presto! back on the center stand the slack was @50mm. So Triumph DO know what they're talking about. Now that I've checked it for myself I set the slack with the bike on the center stand. Sorry about the motherhood statement but always check the clearance at a few different points to check for tight spots.

Also, chains get tight spots and take a lot of provocation to fall off the sprockets so don't worry too much about what seems excessive slack when the bike is sitting. WHen you think about how long the swingarm is and the suspension travel its no surprise there will be a fair bit of slack at rest.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

iansoady

Both the rider's handbook and the workshop manual say adjust when on the centre stand which is why the (apparently) large amount of slack. Other people have found that a touch more than Triumph recommend at around 50mm is about right.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

If you do a search,you'll find loads on the subject,ignore all the books including the one that comes with bike!!!,only way to be sure,set it as you think is right,lean down and check the slack with your finger,and if you ride two up you'll need even more.