News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cautionary tale of rear suspension pivots

Started by Steamer96, March 18, 2007, 11:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamer96

Hi all.

Just thought I would share this with you as a warning.

I have a 96 Steamer, and have been changing the chain and sprockets. When I was refitting the rear wheel, I noticed play in the drag linkage at the point where the suspension shock connects. Long story short, the bearing and bush had failed, probable through lack of lubing, but the main point is that the bearing outer had a hole in, and the bush was hammering its way into the drag link, which is aluminium. I have caught it in time, and for a fairly low price replaced the bearing, bush, and seals. I have a bike lift, and an engineering background, and was able to change the parts without removing the drag link from the bike, BUT, if I had left it another season, I would have had an expensive job on my hands.  It should have been checked at the yearly MOT, but maybe it was overlooked. I'm not sure if later bikes have the same type of setup, but I would get it checked if you can, without a centre stand it is not obvious.

Get in ther with the lube gun asap!!
96 Tiger

79 Electraglide

42WLA   the original off roader