News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dropping the forks-

Started by M.T., March 05, 2007, 09:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.T.

How many of you guys have dropped the forks on your Tiger?  Mine is an '06 and I was just wondering what benefit there was to both steering goemetry and maybe also as an added plus, decreased reach to the bars.  Let me know if you've tried it.

Thanks!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

WIDGIN

My '05 came with the forks dropped almost an inch. Since I initially liked the lower seat height, I rode it like this for a few days and even took it up to the mountain roads setup this way.

However, I continually felt like I was sliding forward onto the tank from the forward lean.  Finally, I jacked the bike up and raised the forks back to normal position.  Instant improvement in riding position and tremendously improved stability.  

I'm not talking just about straight line stability. Compared to normal, with the lowered forks and steeper geometry, the bike seemed to want to "fall" into turns and continue falling unless I pulled it back up. I can't believe how much more planted the bike feels with the forks in normal position. Suddenly it loves fast sweepers and doesn't require continual input adjustments that I hadn't even realized I was doing when the forks were lowered.

And, the riding height of the seat didn't really seem to change much.    

If you have a pre '04 I can understand dropping them to quicken up the front.  But with the quicker frame geometry already built in to '05's and '06's, lowering the forks is a mistake!
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Stretch

Lowered?  Raised?

Forks dropped in triple clamp, or triple clamp raised on forks = bike goes up.

Forks raised in triple clamp, or clamp dropped on forks = bike goes down.

WIDGIN

Quote from: "Stretch"Lowered?  Raised?

Forks dropped in triple clamp, or triple clamp raised on forks = bike goes up.

Forks raised in triple clamp, or clamp dropped on forks = bike goes down.

Wise Ass. :roll:

I suppose I should have said forks raised or triple clamp dropped on forks which would have had everyone scratching their heads in bewilderment.  Kinda obvious that you can't drop the forks in the triple clamp from stock since you quickly run out of fork.  Nevertheless, that seems to  be the common terminology.  Kinda like why you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway.
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Stretch

Quote from: "rbike"Wise Ass. :roll:

Yep! :smt003

Just trying to clarify a little is all.  

:smt059

M.T.

Wow, this isn't what I'd expected!  It looks like based on the votes so far this is a no go, eh?

Feel free to weigh in w/ other input.  Thanks!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

jsingraham

I was going to try raising the forks a bit to drop the front a bit to help mainly with my reach to the ground.  But after reading this post and a couple of other's comments in other articles, I may defer for a while.  after riding my 98 for the past 4+ years and then moving to the 06, I seem to be tiptoeing even more.  guess the wider stock seat has a lot to due with it, along with the corbin on my 98 was cut a bit lower than most I think.

I like the riding position as is though, and don't want to feel as I am sliding towards the tank etc, so I think I will leave mine as is for a while until I get some more miles on it...have only put about 100 on it so far after buying it with just over 800 on it.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Chris Canning

When visiting the factory in 2000 was taken aback that in todays PC world we live in that even they should recomend dropping the forks through the clamps,they suggested anything between 5 and 10mm on a nudge nudge wink ink basis nothing to do with us,in recent years on pre 05 bikes i've seen all sorts of crazy suggestions,and the more radical you are with your set up the more stress you'll be putting front on the front tyre,which are pretty basic in 19" fitment.

The 05/06 bikes had a change in steering head angle because of how many owners were doing their own thing to quicken the steering ,just remember it's a trade off,quicker steering means more instability particularly at higher speeds,and a tendency for the front end to tuck when going into corners at slower speeds,try dropping the forks through 3mm at a time doesn't sound much,but you'll notice the difference.

Rbike

Your forks were set that way because thats how they come packed in the crate from the factory,thats not the first time i've heard of that,were the shop should have set them flush,when the bike was PDI'd by the shop.

I'm voting for the "flush" setting.

I tried dropping the yokes down 10mm and really didn't notice much difference but it's easier to align the tops with the yokes than have to measure 10mm when putting the legs back in. And, of course, if you load the rear with luggage all that changed geometry can go west anyway if you don't set the preload right.

ned37

when i did the 20mm spacer inside the forks to add preload to the springs on my '95 steamer, i dutyfully did the 20mm raising of the tubes in the clamps to "compensate for the raised front end".  one of the worst handling bikes i've ever ridden on road.  very unstable.  put it back level and all is well.

ned
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

WIDGIN

Quote from: "jsingraham"I was going to try raising the forks a bit to drop the front a bit to help mainly with my reach to the ground.  But after reading this post and a couple of other's comments in other articles, I may defer for a while.  after riding my 98 for the past 4+ years and then moving to the 06, I seem to be tiptoeing even more.  guess the wider stock seat has a lot to due with it, along with the corbin on my 98 was cut a bit lower than most I think.

Jason

I decided not to worry anymore about the Tigers height after reading about 5'4" and shorter people who ride BMW Adventures which I believe are slightly taller?  

I'm only 5'9" with a 31" inseam but have adjusted to the Tiger's height pretty quickly considering I just moved from a Sportster with a very low LePera seat.  I can touch with the balls of both feet when coming to a stop and then usually slide over to one side to flatfoot it.  Riding this bike's worth the extra effort which becomes second nature rather quickly if you don't focus on it as a concern.    8)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.