News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Test ride on the 07 Tiger

Started by William Reber, March 12, 2007, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev187

Yeah, the luggage is JUNK.  Just go look at the new Sprint.  My good friend has an 05 Sprint with the 3 piece luggage.  The wrap around support frame for the luggage is ABS plastic, its rigid when mounted to the bike, but flimsy off the bike & its become sun faded over the last 2 years.  

The actual bags are plastic with a latch in the center only, the 1st year, the luggage started to warp & pop open.  Triumphs fix was to make the plastuc cases thicker with a honeycomb support & did this by taking away from interior space.  The inside of the bags is very small.

So yeah, new tiger riders I would NOT reccomend the new luggage, its cheap junk, my friend Aaron is always complaining about his & just to take the top case off, requires tools to get rid of the ugly sliding plate when you don't want/need it.

I am glad my 05 is still young & Healthy, I am not sure what bike as of yet I would replace it wiht, definitely not the 2007, Maybe a good deal on a used low mileage GS :-D

JRO

Thanks for the mounted pictures.  As illustrated, a grown man mounted on the '07 puts one in mind of a trained bear riding a bicycle. So much for Triumph having an all-round tourer, but if you're planning on running away and joining the circus, it'd be the bike of choice.
JRO

2006 Tiger

TT1050

I had heard that they restyled the bags and had bad experience with them on the first round with the Sprint?  Hopefully this is the case. I'll know in a week.

kev187

No the bags were not re-styled, just modified.  The shape, size, mountin rack, al remained the same.  The wall of the plastic case was too thin causing the bags to warp & pop open.  So what they did was add a layer of honeycomb style plastic enforcement about 3/8 inch thick to the plastic wall of the hard case & then another lauer of plastic.  This ended up making the interior storage of the bags smaller, but made the bags stiffer.

My friend Aarron had his bags recalled, they used all his exisiting hardware & the lids & replaced just the hard case part that was exactly the same design cosmetically with less storage.  Its a poor set up with a money saving quick fix, that triumph is going to stick with.  I personally hate it... he tries to rationalize it, but misses the luggage on his 2001 spring (same as the old tiger)

William Reber

I also wish that the 06 bags would have been used , while the right bag is about usless the left one hold lots of gear. But the bigest help for me on the 06 is the standard luggage rack , I puchased a large JC Whitney top trunk for 79 bucks mounted up eazy looks good (after I took that funky decal off) with it I can pack for a week....er seven pairs of underwear   LOL  :lol:

Advwannabe

If you went by the recommended loadings for the topbox on my '02 underpants would be all you could put in. 6kgs, what?

I've always thought if it fits, it goes, but then the handling gets a little funky, esp off road  :wink:
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

William Reber

Light load yep ...I know a guy who mounted a luggage rack on this 03 Goldwing then made a flag holder to mount to the rack , he poudly left the five foot American flag ,lugage rack and top section of his trunk along the side of the interstate   OH WELL    here is your sign LOL  :roll: