News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

speedometer failure

Started by GatorTiger, May 15, 2006, 08:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorTiger

Did anyone of y'all have this happen to them at all:

- drive along, minding your own business

- speedometer needle drops to 0!!!!! :shock:

- still driving along at same speed, minding your speedo's business this time

- no other indicators that anything is wrong, bike still is running along as if nothing has happened

- pull over, come to a complete stop

- get going again without doing ANYTHING to the bike

- speedo needle works again  :shock:

WTF? Any ideas???
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Chris Canning

It'll be the drive at the bottom,which is all one piece with the wire that fits under the speedo,it's not uncommon mine went belly up in central Spain,just mean't i had 2000 mile less on it when i sold it!!!

BykBoy

Quote from: "GatorTiger"Did anyone of y'all have this happen to them at all

Similar thing happend to me twice after riding in heavy rain. It always fixed itself after a while. However, recently it happend after I took out the front wheel. Now the spedo needle is on the fritz.  The needle is eather dead on 0, jumping up and down like a basketball, or showing what looks to be the correct speed. I took the front mask off and checked the connections and everything looked OK. I can't figure out what's wrong.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

zombie

here's what happened to my speedo out in south dakota when I let a honda dealer change my front tire
bunch of useless wankers really made a bollocks out the effin' thing

GatorTiger

That looks nasty!!!

Since my original post I found out what caused mine to drop dead one in a while: lack of lubrication!!!!!! I pretty much soaked mine in lube (liquid, non-WD40!!) and never had another problem...

The Terrible Tiger

Quote from: "GatorTiger"That looks nasty!!!

Since my original post I found out what caused mine to drop dead one in a while: lack of lubrication!!!!!! I pretty much soaked mine in lube (liquid, non-WD40!!) and never had another problem...

Jeeze mate, you really set yourself up!  Don't you like lapping tiger?  It's called foreplay.  Never tried WD-40 on the ol' wanker... gotta try it.

GatorTiger

Quote from: "The Terrible Tiger"Jeeze mate, you really set yourself up!  Don't you like lapping tiger?  It's called foreplay.  Never tried WD-40 on the ol' wanker... gotta try it.

DON'T USE WD40!!!!!!!! I used 3-in-1 (here in the US), which is from the same company that WD40 comes from, but it is NOT the WD 40 product! I didn't want the WD 40 to creep into my wheel bearings!!! Use some non-creeping  :roll: lubricant...

Cheers,
HG

blacktiger

Quote from: "GatorTiger"
Quote from: "The Terrible Tiger"Jeeze mate, you really set yourself up!  Don't you like lapping tiger?  It's called foreplay.  Never tried WD-40 on the ol' wanker... gotta try it.

DON'T USE WD40!!!!!!!! I used 3-in-1 (here in the US), which is from the same company that WD40 comes from, but it is NOT the WD 40 product! I didn't want the WD 40 to creep into my wheel bearings!!! Use some non-creeping  :roll: lubricant...

Cheers,
HG

Why not just use a LM (low melting point) grease. That's what mine came filled with from new and I've not had to touch it or refill it in 47000 miles.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Onedownfiveup

I have a speedo for any of you guys that want one. I bought it from Martin Gilly when I got the bike to try to get around the crazy emissions laws here in California for out of state registration. I am approaching the number that the speedo needs to read for regsitration, so I don't need it anymore. Martin said it reads about 10K miles but I have never powered it up. I bought it for $100, so that plus shipping is what I will sell it for. It's in perfect condition.

PM me for anyone is interested.
\'05 Lucifer, \'01 Stage 2 GP1200R,  \'96 WaveBlaster II, 2005 Viper SRT-10