News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hard shifting 06

Started by jsingraham, March 19, 2007, 04:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsingraham

This may have been discussed before, but I wasn't having much luck in my search of the forum...

I have an 06 that I purchased with just over 800 miles on it, and have just today turned it over 1000 miles.  When out today for a short ride, I began to notice something that I don't recall happening before, which is when in first gear, and sitting at an idle with clutch pulled in, It is very hard if not impossible to get the thing into neutral without fully releasing the clutch and trying to put it to neutral while moving.  I really dont' notice any other irregular shifting while out riding and doing normal shifting while in motion, but at a stop and trying to go from 1st to netural or even 2nd to neutral, it doesn't like it.

Anyone else ever had this problem, and is it common, or maybe just something that will get better as I put some more miles on it?

Thanks,

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

ghostbiker955i

i some times get a clunky 1-2 change and 5-6 if the chain is lose, have you checked chain? but never noticed a problem with selecting neutral, maybe adjust clutch to.
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

M.T.

Quite a few people have commented on this one, and in fact I too have a little bit of trouble finding neutral when at a stop.

The answer seems to lie with the clutch adjustment-  your cable has probably just stretched a bit since new.  Pretty normal stuff.  Try taking up just a little bit of the cable with the adjuster and I'd bet you'll be smilin'!

Good luck!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

jsingraham

Thanks for the suggestion on the clutch cable adjustment...I didn't really think of that as being my problem.  I literally couldn't physically pull the lever up at all yesterday to the point where I was putting so much strain on my foot that it hurt!  It does make sense though I guess.  I haven't messed with the clutch cable adjuster any since getting the bike as I didn't feel it really needed any adjustment, but maybe it does.  

I guess the old steamer with the hydraulic clutch that really is maintenance free (except for an occasional fluid refresh) got me spoiled for the past few years.  

Hopefully that will fix my problem.

Thanks.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Eric

Agree with MT. Adjust (tighten) the clutch cable at the lever a little. Had the same problem and with a little tightening, finding neutral is no problem. 06 Tiger with 7000 miles.
Eric Walburgh

06 Tiger