News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Petrol sender unit story

Started by Jim S, May 04, 2007, 09:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Well, the saga continues. I've decided to replace the sender unit. It's the only way to guarantee a lasting fix.

I ordered one from the local bike shop, not a Triumph agent but can source the part. I picked it up this morning, not that bad a price to have the bike 100% again, £49.40 GBP.

Ok, it's £50, but who cares? For a working fuel guage and warning light I think it's not too bad, a Yamaha one's over £90!

Hopefully this one will last as long if not longer than the original, two years, hopefully this is the end of this tale guys! I'll let you know though!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Jim S

Right, the sender's fixed! I fitted the new sender unit on Saturday night and tested it today, seems to be reading ok. Hopefully that will be it for a couple of years.

While fitting the sender I decided to fit the Renthal bars I bought last year but never got round to fitting, well, I know why I kept putting it off now! What a nightmare! Ok, boring holes for the switch gear was as expected, but the holes for the heated grip wires? Well, what a nightmare! I slid the mirror up the bar and severed one of the wires! Took ages to find the fault! Fairing was off three times!

Ah well, never mind, the petrol guage works and the Renthals are fitted. If anyone wants to know what's involved in fitting Renthal bars to a Tiger let me know.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

AndyM

More interested in hearing about the petrol gauge problem. I have an 03 Tiger with 40k miles on it and yesterday the gauge dropped to empty and the low fuel light came on. But I still had better than half a tank left.

This morning it worked for a bit then quit and then worked and quit again.  

Whats involved in fixing this? I'm guessing the sending unit?

Jim S

Hi there, I had the same problem, worked fine until one day in Belgium the light came on just after filling it. I had only done about 10 miles since refuel and the guage dropped and the light came on. This was intermittent for the rest of the summer so when I put the bike back on the road this spring it was still acting up. It was more or less reading empty all the time in the end so radical action required. I tried cleaning it during service but although better was not fixed so bit the bullet and ordered the sender unit. At £50 it's not that bad really for peace of mind.

Ok, remove seat, disconnect battery, remove battery and battery box (three studs), then remove the two side panels from seat to tank (three studs). Then remove the indicator pods from tank to fairing (six studs), remove the two bolts that hold the tank in place then lift the tank until it sits on the frame at the back. Remove the four bolts that hold the sender unit and disconnect. remove sender and refit in reverse. Shouldn't take more than an hour really. No need to remove further wires or hoses, the tank doesn't need to come off the bike. Remember to run it close to empty first though or you'll have petrol everywhere!

A lot simpler than fitting Renthal bars! LOL!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade