News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

strong petrol smell

Started by monkeyhanger, August 26, 2013, 10:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyhanger

Hi
Wonder if anyone has sufffered similar.
I got my 1999 885i last week and it has a strong petrol smell constantly , i`m thinking maybe vacuum leak (wich could also explain noisy camchain sound) but don`t want to destroy the bike searching if theres a simple fix someone might of done already (35,000 miles)
Cheers in advance Andy :icon_confused:

Chris Canning

Take the seat/side panels and black panels off the side of the tank that will give access to the plastic fuel connectors coming out of the tank that the two male fuel pipes go into there's a very good chance it's the plastic females do a search there plenty on here about such.

Bixxer Bob

I know most folks fix their own, but there's a tech note covering this.  If you're interested Chris, drop me a PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

You've lost me John boy!!,I did mine years ago when they broke just wish it wasn't after I'd just filled it full of fuel and I was 3 miles from Dover with a ferry to catch  :icon_redface:

Bixxer Bob

Sorry, that wasn't very clear.  There was a recall for the dealers to change the iffy connectors. First chance I get I'll check the date of it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 27, 2013, 11:06:13 AM
There was a recall for the dealers to change the iffy connectors. First chance I get I'll check the date of it.

Had mine done about 18 month ago under recall, although it was just the elbows that they changed.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Blimey I had my 885i male connectors done in the recall in 2000 but there's never been a recall on the females on either the 885i or 955i.

Bixxer Bob

I wasn't paying that much attention so perhaps that was it.  As I said, I'll have a look later.

Chris Canning

Despite we live in a world of litigation how the hell Triumph have got away without a recall on the females I'll never know,I can remember years ago dropping a metal one on the counter at Windy Corner and the guy saying thank god for that.

NortonCharlie

If all the fittings are not metal they should be.   It is real easy to nick the O-ring on the male fitting and it will leak.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Ossian

I know that this topic has been done to death, however, I've owned my '03 from new and the male connectors were replaced with metal ones at the time of the recall years ago. My question is where can I get metal female connectors to replace the plastic ones. From the UK preferably. Thanks

Marc

Quote from: Ossian on October 08, 2013, 12:34:46 AM
My question is where can I get metal female connectors to replace the plastic ones. From the UK preferably. Thanks

I got mine from:

http://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products_subgroups.php?v=1&recall=true&products_categories=2&level2=164&products_groups=8150&products_subgroups=8150A

You'll need:  2 x LCD10004BSPT - 1/4 BSPT Valved CPC Coupling Body for the tank fittings.
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Ossian

Thank you for the information.
Those will match up with the existing male units ?

Chris Canning

Quote from: Ossian on October 08, 2013, 06:50:54 PM
Thank you for the information.
Those will match up with the existing male units ?

I'd have thought so as we all have the same!!,just be prepared for the females to snap off when you try to remove them do a search their various ways of getting the threaded part out.