News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Euro Motorsports Triumph/Scottsdale BMW-Dealer Warning!

Started by CrashDBad, March 26, 2007, 08:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDBad

After returning from Death Valley I let my bike (1998 Triump Tiger) sit awhile and I couldn't get it started. the bike ran flawlessly for 1000 miles, doing 100 mph+ with full gear right up until the moment I parked it. I tried troubleshooting it a few days and eventually gave up. There is a new Triumph/Ducati/MV Augusta dealer near my house in Scottsdale called Euro Motorsports, so I decided to give them a try.

They were extremely courteous, helping pull the bike off the trailer and spent a fair amount of time chit-chatting. I let them know that I wanted them to call me before getting into any serious repairs.

After a few days we speak and they tell me there is 30 psi compression in each cylinder. They weren't certain of what the problem was, but they were getting close.

The next time we speak, they tell me they have found the problem. My rings are worn and need to be replaced, possible pistons and cylinder liners to the tune of $1400. I asked if they were checking compression with the throttle open, had they checked the valve clearances? I told them i didn't believe my rings failed all of a sudden to stop the bike from running and not to work on my bike, I would pick it up as soon as possible.

Fast forward a week and I took the bike to French at Cyclewerks in Tempe. he looked the bike over and found that the valve covers had never been removed and my intake valve clearance was zero on each cylinder. The bike needed a valve adjustment to the tune of $270 for valve adjust, carb synch and troubleshooting time.

As far as I'm concerned Euro Motosports tried to rob me. I confronted the owner about what happened and he never asked for proof I had the work done elsewhere and offered to refund my money paid to them for not fixing my bke. He had no real explanation although he claims thee was no intent to defraud me. He claims the technician is now working over at their BMW store and he hopes that I would come back in the future. Not a f*cking chance.

Even if there intent was not to rip me off, they (tech Matt, service manager Grant) lied about having checked the valves and tried to charge me $1400 to rebuild a topend that needed a valve adjustment. Josh the owner seemed apologetic, but unable to explain the mishap. I waited to speak with the owner Josh before posting my experience here.

As far as i'm concerend, this is no different pick-pocketing me, stealing my car stereo or braking into my house. they tried to steal from me, whether this is the normal business practice or the work of a single emplyee's incompetence or dishonest, I don't know. In any case, I would not recommend doing bsuiness with them or Their BMW Scotssdale store in the same location since the "Tech" Matt is now working at that store.

Stretch

Bleh.

The very reason I try to do all my own work.

BR

So.. what's the update on this?  You had your valves adjusted and now all is well?

It's hard to tell if the dealer was trying to pull a fast one.  At the very least, they are likely guilty of putting minimal effort into their diagnosis and giving you the worst-case scenario to fix it.  sheesh! If they pulled the plugs to find the 30psi/hole compression, a little squirt of oil in each cylinder could have told them if it was the rings or the valves.  This is "Auto-shop 101" stuff which they should know and maybe they couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how this turned out....

Regards,

BR

'98 BRG Tiger

(recently brought back to life after sitting for 6 mos again....)

CrashDBad

Quote from: "BR"So.. what's the update on this?  You had your valves adjusted and now all is well?

It's hard to tell if the dealer was trying to pull a fast one.  At the very least, they are likely guilty of putting minimal effort into their diagnosis and giving you the worst-case scenario to fix it.  sheesh! If they pulled the plugs to find the 30psi/hole compression, a little squirt of oil in each cylinder could have told them if it was the rings or the valves.  This is "Auto-shop 101" stuff which they should know and maybe they couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how this turned out....

Regards,

BR

'98 BRG Tiger

(recently brought back to life after sitting for 6 mos again....)

The shop claimed they checked the valves and they were all in spec.  The shop I took it to afterwards said the valve covers had never been off the bike.  Euro Motorports lied.

I asked if they were opening the throttle when checking compression, did they do a leak down test, difference before/after and they claimed a difference of 5lbs after oil down the hole.

I considered that this was a worst case guess at $1400, but what burns my ass is that they said "the rings are bad and need to be replaced."  I asked if had ever seen rings fail so completely and suddenly, considering the bike ran fine, no loss of power, no smoke or oil consumption right up until I had parked it the week before.  Whether it was an attempt to rip me off, poor communication between staff or complete incompetency, I wouldn't recommend servicing a bike there.

My bike runs great now.  the intake valves had zero clearance (failing to close completely and causing the low compression reading i assume) and needed adjustment.  When i described the syptoms to the second shop over the phone, the first thing he asked was if they checked the valve clearance.  I told him yes, but he decided to check for himself (luckily!)

iansoady

Quote from: "Stretch"Bleh.

The very reason I try to do all my own work.

Me too. There's nothing worse than being lied to by "experts" especially whilst they are extracting money from you.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

BR

"and they claimed a difference of 5lbs after oil down the hole".

Funny.... that would indicate that valves ARE leaking.

I hope they didn't charge you much for that diagnosis.

Sounds like they either hoped you would just give in on the big estimate or it would scare you away.  Regardless, they missed out on adjusting your valves, solving your problem and possibly getting a repeat customer.

I realize doing this stuff yourself is not for everyone but this is what drives some folks to take it on.  For me, besides the $$, I just enjoy doing it myself, taking my time and knowing it's right.

Glad to hear you're back on the road.

BR

TigerTrax

If it's a new dealer...

sounds like his 'mech' has not been to Triumph school.

It seems crazy .... but one of the first questions you should ask is if a dealer's mechs are Triumph certified. If they are, they've been thru about 10 days of intense training. AND... they have some professional competence that puts the burden on the dealership.

One of 3 things will happen with this dealer:

1. He will get better because he has to.

2. He will go out of business.

3. He will sell his business to someone who makes it better.

But something will change...

Glad you got your problem resolved....

I really liked my '98 .... ran like a scalded dog!

---- but I like my '06 better .....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'