News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Choke Problem

Started by MARKC, March 19, 2007, 09:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARKC

When first starting up from cold the choke is not kicking in. I have to keep the revs up with the throttle. If left it will only tick over at 800-1000rpm and cuts out. Any suggestions.? Thanks

2004Tiger

I suggest you tell us what you are riding.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

MARKC

2004Tiger

My 2004 starts cold (no throttle) and runs 1500-1700 RPM, as it warms up it settles down to about 900. I consider this normal, and it works good. Another recent thread reports a 955 which starts like that, but he didn't say if it settles down to something reasonable. On that thread it was suggested that the computer program controls the cold start function. This seems correct. I believe a fuel injection engine has no choke, the computer controls the mixture and the throttle for cold start. So this leads me to say: 1. You could get your computer reflashed (while your're at it get the off-road tune) or 2. Whatever gismo in the throttle linkage which should react to a computer RPM signal is not functioning. Take off your tank and check it out. Or, I suppose the dealer has a diagnostic computer to plug in and tell the mechanics what to do (you know they can't think for themselves any more).
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

MARKC

Its not doing any harm at the moment so I'll wait until the 12,000 mile service and get it sorted then.

Quote from: "MARKC"Its not doing any harm at the moment so I'll wait until the 12,000 mile service and get it sorted then.

All this stuff is controlled by the ECU. It should be possible for the dealer to adjust things so that it has a faster tick over when cold.