News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Greece Ride

Started by miltos, May 20, 2007, 10:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miltos

Hi! Greek here in Yorkshire UK. Thinking to take a ride nxt summer 2008 down to greece, anyone willing to chat about it or someone who did it (near Italy at least) any information to give, would be big help. I'm planning ride on my own but would be nice if someone, i presume near York is thinkin about it...more info txt me...Miltos

Thank you!!!
always Triumph

Harley

Hi Miltos,

are you a Greek in York -North Yorkshire, either way, sounds interesting, where and when. If your in Yorkshire, send a pm and we could perhaps meet.

I live in York, so should be easy enough to catch up, maybe at Helmsley?

Just got my Tiger last Saturday, been out 4 times over the weekend, and so far so good. Great pick up and gets to 70-80 in a flash.

miltos

Hi,sent pm...
always Triumph

Harley

Hi Miltos,

ahhh,  Ossett - i know it so well.

Have posted PM

MARKC

Hello there,

I've been as far as Naples on my Tiger via France and Switzerland. I think if you go this sort of route you can get a ferry from Bari or Brindisi. The overland route would take you through Bosnia which outside the E.U requires a visa and seperate insurance.I dont believe this is much of a problem and Bosnia looks a nice place and a growing tourist spot.

Chris Canning

It ain't Bosnia it's the bit afterwards that causes the hassle,hence why most catch the ferry,i think you can also go from Venice

MARKC

Which bit after Bosnia causes hassle.? Any info would be useful as some mates of mine will be heading that way. Thanks

miltos

Hi guys, i think (im pretty sure) u can get the ferry from Ancona. It's a fast ferry. B4 used to take 32hrs but now i think is less or around 24hrs and does a stop in north part of greece so you can ride a nice way down to Athens, Peloponese...
always Triumph

Chris Canning

Albania and Macedonia,no doubt they can be done,but when one is up his or hers!!! necks in mud and alligators being on a ferry soaking up the sun may seem a better option.

miltos

Hi Harley, what about this Saturday 2/05/07 around 13.30 at Sherburn in Elmet, im working till 11.00am in Hudds - then im off. If possible for you just text me, cheers Miltos
always Triumph

iansoady

About 15 years ago I took my Norton Commando from Birmingham to Milies in ar Volos). On the way down I went through France on N roads, stopping off at St Omer & Beaune, then through the Alps, over Col de Mont Cenis into Italy, stayed somewhere near Courmayeur then Pisa, Rome, and the ferry from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa. Then across via Ioannina and Metsovo to Pilion.

On the way back I took the ferry from Igoumenitsa to Ancona , stayed near Parma then more or less retraced my wheeltracks through the Alps and back up through France.

All in all a great trip and would be excellent on a Tiger. The main reason I shortened the return trip through Italy was that as I speak very little Italian, but passable French & Greek, I felt quite isolated there.

The best bit was the mountain road from Igoumenitsa across the Katara pass then down past Meteora. One of the best roads I've ridden on.

Have a great trip,

Kalo taxidi
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

violin

Hi Miltos

Me and Wife rode to Kefalonia on the Tiger in June 2004 - We are thinking of doing it again next summer or somewhere near and hot.

We rode through France, Switzerland, Italy and got the Ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa overnight (one hint is pay for a cabin on the overnight ferry). From there we rode down Lefkas got the ferry to Kefalonia and then nipped over to Zante to see the brits abroad (Yuk!).

Took us 8 days to get there (stopping off for a couple of days in France and Italy) - Stayed 2 weeks and took us 6 days to get back (stopping off in Switzerland for 2 days).  We camped on the way down and on the way back but had accommodation while we were in Greece.

Had a fantastic time - didn't want to come home.

We would recommend this trip to anybody - but next time we may get the ferry from Venice.

The Tiger just ate the miles.
WHEN THE TIGER SALAAMS, THE END OF THE WORLD ARRIVES..........

miltos

Thanks ever so much to anybody adding info here, very welcomed comments...thank u...tigers
always Triumph

Rod

Miltos,

I'm thinking of riding down to the Black Sea via East Europe next year , so would definitely be interested in joining you for some or all of the way.
  Definitely keep me posted of your planning progress.

Rod