News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another New owner and new member.

Started by Bluffguy, June 04, 2007, 11:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluffguy

Hello to all,

I'm another new owner of a Silver 06 Tiger. I've had it for 3 weeks and it's probably the smoothest bike I"ve ever ridden. I"M really going to have alot of fun on this motorcycle. This forum is fantastic and has really answered alot of questions I have about the Tiger. I still have a couple of questions that I need help with. This bike is really tall and my 5' 9" frame is having a little bit of a problems at stops. What is the best way to lower the seat height,  gel seat, suspension or a lowering kit. Also, has anyone replaced the stock clutch and brake levers with a brand that is easier to reach. I just need to personalize the bike to my riding style.  The Tiger is really a great bike, I was waiting for the 07 to buy, but after I saw it at the Long Beach show, I decided to stay with an 06. This bike is spoiling me.

Thanks for your help,

Ralph
06 Silver Tiger (New Owner)
01 Bonneville
75 Trident
68 Bonneville

geoff

Hi,

Nice to meet another Tiger owner. My Tiger is an 06 model like yours, but a blue one. I am about 6' tall and at my height I find it easy to reach the ground if I adjust the rear suspension towards the lowest end of the range I can just flat foot with both feet wearing boots. I would expect that on this setting you would be able to reach the ground with both feet with a slight stretch. I have found that the more I ride the Tiger the more confident I get with the balance and even if I raise the rear suspension it does not worry as much as it did initially. The only real problem can be if you need to reverse while on the bike.

I have read some threads on this forum about slipping the fork tubes up about 10 to 20mm to reduce the height of the bike. If you do this along with using the lowest rear setting  you should be able to get very close to flat footing with both feet.  Also, if the seat is on the lowest setting there is not much that can be done with the seat other than getting a custom seat. I also recall some mod under the seat that lowered it about 5mm.

zadok_oz

Welcome Ralph. Good to see you are enjoying your new mount. :)
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

Bluffguy

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the info on lowering the suspension. I suppose it pays to read the manual, which I havn't read from front to back yet. Actually the dealer gave me the manual for a 1050, finally got the right one for my bike. I will definitely try all the things you suggested.

Ride safe
01 Bonneville
75 Trident
68 Bonneville

BeefyUK

Greetings from one newbie to another - only a few thousand miles and an ocean apart!

As I remember driving in LA is an experience...lol  

Don't you just love the purr that the triple engine makes... Mmmmm  :smt041

BiggerBikersBounceBetter!

\'00 885i Tiger

\'03 955i Tiger

\'06 955i Tiger...must be addicted by now!

WIDGIN

Although I agree to set the rear suspension to soft setting, I disagree with raising the front forks in the triple clamp.  My '05 came setup this way and I initially thought it was good (I'm 5'9" with 31" inseam). This might have been a good trick with the '04's and earlier since they had slower steering geometry.  However, after I dropped the forks back to normal, the handling improved tremendously.  The bike is much more stable and doesn't fall into turns like it did with the forks raised. My solution for the height, wear boots with thick soles and just learn to live without flatfooting on both sides.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

BeefyUK

QuoteMy '05 came setup this way and I initially thought it was good (I'm 5'9" with 31" inseam)

Should try the new Tiger 1050... seat height even higher!

Am 6ft 3ins and only have 30.5 inch  inseam... but Tiger 955i feels just right for me!

BiggerBikersBounceBetter!

\'00 885i Tiger

\'03 955i Tiger

\'06 955i Tiger...must be addicted by now!

Bluffguy

Thanks for all the responses.  I did adjust the rear suspension and it did help. Can just touch both toes on the ground now and I'm looking for some thick soled boots. I will leave the front forks alone because the Tiger handles great as is. Ive been a classic rider for many years (old Triumphs), but the Tiger is spoiling me. Just too much fun.

Ride safe ,

Ralph
01 Bonneville
75 Trident
68 Bonneville

PixMan

Ralph,

I have the clutch lever from a Daytona 675 on mine, it's got the 4-position adjustable cam. However, putting that on (previous owner did it) required losing the handguard. (of course he took off both handguards.)

He had also taken off the stock mirrors and put a SkyKing bar-end mirror on. I put the back-half of the stock clutch lever clamp on, and refitted the bike with OEM mirrors.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I can't flat-foot mine either. I've become accustomed to being certain that I've clicked it into 1st gear before stopping, and put down only my left foot.

I am going to lower my forks by 6mm to see how I like it. I would mind it to fall into corners a little.

hth

eatalotapeaches

Greetings,  I am another recent noob.  I just picked up a Orange 03 with 16K last week.
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k