News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by JetdocX, June 27, 2007, 02:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 98 Tiger (Steamer) so I might be hanging out a bit here asking stupid questions and generally making a fool out of myself.

That is the extent of my Triumph knowledge as I've not had a chance to read the service manaul yet.

Oh, yeah, Brittish Racing Green :twisted:

My other bike is a Bavarian Thumper.
From parts unknown.

zombie

burntclutch

Great bike and great color! I've never actually seen the BRG in person yet though.

Several very knowledgeable Steamer owners here...and they can be very helpful. I've had my '98 since early '99.

How many miles on it?

That's a nice backdrop there too...droool..

JetdocX

Thank you.  About 24,000 miles on it.  

I bought it in Riverside and rode it home to Reno in one day, then had to leave town for three weeks.  It's just sitting in my garage and I'm itching to ride it some more.

Backdrop is Mt. Whitney back there somewhere and it was taken in Lone Pine, CA on 395.

I have tons of questions for the old timers, but I'll try to restrain myself, use the correct forum, and not hit you guys with all of them at once.

Thanks again. :D
From parts unknown.

DirtBiker

Hello jetdocx

I ride in your back yard all the time. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Did you hear that A&S BMW (Sacramento) is having the couple from the UK that are going around the world to talk this weekend. I going try to make it.

BTW nice bike, good first ride too!

JetdocX

Quote from: "DirtBiker"Hello jetdocx

I ride in your back yard all the time. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Did you hear that A&S BMW (Sacramento) is having the couple from the UK that are going around the world to talk this weekend. I going try to make it.

BTW nice bike, good first ride too!

Hello Dirtbiker.  Not a first ride for me.  That would be my '67 Yama 125 Enduro.  Still own a Teutonic thumper, too.  Red and now the (BR) green bike.  I guess it's a lot like Xmas in my garage nowadays.

So far I love the power and smoothness.  Still learning to ride the corners with it.  I think it takes more work to heave it over than I may be used to, right?

Missed the A&S thing.  I was out getting familiar with the Steamer.... :D

How's the bike with TKC's on the dirt?
From parts unknown.

DirtBiker

Quote from: "jetdocX"
Quote from: "DirtBiker"How's the bike with TKC's on the dirt?

I ride with tourance's they are not dirt tires But they do ok.

I'm not to sure how knobbies will do on the street. My idea is that I would rather go down in the dirt @ 30-45 mph instead of going down 70-80 mph on the street because the knobbs would hold on the pavement.

Somebody correct me if my thoughts are wrong. I would love to run some knobbs.

JetdocX

I run TKC's on my Bavarian Thumper street, dirt, sand, whatever.

No problems with the knobs holding in turns.  The vibe level is up, but on that bike it doesn't really matter to me.

I do notice a slight wobble in high speed turns > 85 mph.

I think this bike, being heavier would eat those Teeks up fairly quickly.
From parts unknown.

DirtBiker

hmm..

So your saying a good aggressive tire holds the road.

I'm going to have to try some at tha next tire swap. Unfortunateley I just put on a new set last week so it will be awhile.

Toby

JetdocX

I'm saying a TKC-80 mounted to my F650 Beemer holds the road well.  This bike (Tiger) is similar in weight to the larger boxers and plenty of those guys use TKC's as well.  

The wonderful thing about MC tires................they wear out quickly. :D
From parts unknown.

Quote from: "jetdocX"I'm saying a TKC-80 mounted to my F650 Beemer holds the road well.  This bike (Tiger) is similar in weight to the larger boxers and plenty of those guys use TKC's as well.  

Correct. I used TCK80s on a R100GS I had a while back and they are surprisingly grippy for what they are. Rears went to 2500 miles and fronts about 10K. They did make the ride "feel" wobbly. I described it as "like riding a lilo on the sea" but once you get used to it you can push them quite hard.