News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Miles on a Tiger

Started by William Reber, June 21, 2007, 09:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Reber

:roll: Being new to Triumph owned two in my life , the 06 I have is a year old now and I have put 14K miles on it now ,with the exception of a never solved small oil leak it has done well. What I am interested in is How many miles have you put on the clock ? Dealer said his top number for a 995 was 36 K miles. I put that many on my Wing in less than two years. How about it looking for some high mile Tigers out there.

Brooks Short

I bought my new '06  Tiger in June of last year and now have almost 16,000 miles on it.  No oil leak but I'm on my 3rd set of tires.  

I owned a BMW R1100RT that I bought new in 1996 and kept until 2004. I had 95,000 miles on that bike but it took a new clutch at 17,000 miles, new shocks at 45,000 miles , a rebuilt tranny at 47,000 miles and a new HES at 90,000 miles.

I think the Tiger should go that far without those repairs. Maybe a clutch at some point.
One Less Car

bloaker

my 06 is at 18000 miles.  No worries here.  I will have 25K or so by the end of warranty.

punkindave

This is always a funny topic.. Any modern motorcycle should go 100k+ with routine service and some basic maint..

Most folks just don't ride that much!!  I don't consider myself a real distance rider, but I take the bike out everywhere and ride year round in an area where most put them away in Oct... My dealer (Triumph, Ducati Aprilla) says most of his customers only ride 2-4k per year...

I'm not riding as much as I rode the Wing, but I have over 6k on my 2.5 month old Tiger.. As far as I'm concerned, they ain't even broken in until 30k or so...  :lol:

The trade in value drops heavily with mileage, but I bought the bike to ride, not to trade!!!!!
Dave\'s \'07 Triumph White ABS Tiger \"Casper\" - SCRC Chapter #83 - AMA District 2 Polarbears - MSF RiderCoach

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

DirtBiker

I've got 36,000 on my 01.

No probs yet doesn't seem to be developing any either.

I'm hoping to get around 100,000 before some thing big happens!

Toby

PixMan

My '05 Tiger had 11,651 miles on it when I bought it on May 21st this year. I just turned 14,000, and did have the front brake rotors replaced under the remaining warranty. No other issues.

My 2000 Sprint RS (also a 955i mill) was bought new in March 2000, and had over 54,000 miles on it when I sold it in November of '06. During the time I had it, I had one exhaust valve that seemed to have trouble, as it needed adjustment at every 12K service that others did not. By contrast, a good friend who told me of this site has a 2001 with about 34,000 miles and has never had to adjust a single valve clearance in all 3 service intervals.

On my Sprint, I changed the rear shock to a Penske, put in Race Tech front springs and re-valved the forks at 38,000. It really renewed the bike. Other than that, I had only one time it started misfiring in the upper ranges of the revs (but it always started up fine.) That turned out to be a plug-top coil that had come off a bit.

I changed out the front pads at 18,000 miles, but it wasn't needed because the OEM replacements I put on then were just wearing down to the markers at 54,000. I sold the bike with the original rear pads still in, and DO use my rear brake with almost every application of the fronts.

Stone reliable bikes, that's why I bought the Tiger.

psychorn

Bought my 04 tiger new 0 miles in oct of 06. Just turned the odometer over at 15,068 today. Still haxe 14months to go before my 2 yr. warranty is over.
Henry

04 Tiger 955cc

JRO

I have an '06, with 16,000+ on the clock.  The only real problem I've had was a failed stator, which had one improperly wound loop, causing it to go out at 14,000+.  Repaired under warranty.

Being an everyday, year-round rider, I asked this same question on triumphrat.net, back when my bike was new.  Try this thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?o ... 7&forum=26

The highest mileage was 112,000 on a '94 model.  Not sure if that was kilometers or miles, though.

It's true - these bikes don't seem to get used as much a a GoldWing.  I use mine, everyday, for basic transportation.  I would have expected to put more miles on it than I have, during the time I've owned it.  Since I use it all the time, I guess I'm just older, too busy with home and family, and don't ride around as much as I used to.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Mudhen

Quote from: "psychorn"Bought my 04 tiger new 0 miles in oct of 06. Just turned the odometer over at 15,068 today. Still haxe 14months to go before my 2 yr. warranty is over.

:smt023  (about finding the new '04 AND the mileage!)

My '96 just turned 38k.  Eaten a couple rotors because the dummy doing the maintenance never checked the pads, and ate the front sprocket cover because that same dude let the chain get too loose (but you 955'ers don't have to worry about that one I don't think).

And we all know Tigers don't last more than a couple hundred miles before they implode....at least, that's what I was just reading over on advrider...
\'96 Steamer

NortonCharlie

I have a little over 70,000 miles on my 01 955 Tiger.  It has been starting to use a little oil.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

DirtBiker

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"I have a little over 70,000 miles on my 01 955 Tiger.  It has been starting to use a little oil.

Now this is the kind of stuff I like to hear.

I don't suppose anybody has any high mileage dirt rides out there.

Seems I can't resist the dirt any longer! How much life will I cut out of it  if I dirt bike it?

Sorry for the slight Hi-jack :oops:

german

since new (16 months) 24,000 Kms.

during this periode i have experimented the next items.

Steering bearings marked, fuel level sensor fault with fuel tank completely full, relay plastic supports, battery plastic belt  and rear brake sw plastic cap degaradated, muffler bolts lost therefore lh pannier burned.

without positive dealer response.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

geoff

My 06 Tiger is just over a year old and has 2,700km on the clock. At this rate it will take me 60 years before the bike hits 100,000 miles. I think I need to get out more on my Tiger    :wink:

Loops

1999 885cc efi with 69,500 miles on it.

Original clutch  fork seals  front wheel bearings.

Ohlins rear fitted at 54k.  RW bearings about 42k.  Head bearings 62k.

keep riding

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

My '02 has 45000 miles on it. Only warranty issues were a fuel sender and the recall to replace the plastic fuel pipe fittings. Crashed it twice (please don't ask) and dropped it twice (they're effin heavy) but she still gets up and goes every time. Currently I don't see any reason to sell her on.

I'd recommend a Scott oiler and some Touratech (or similar) crash bars.