News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Alternator output

Started by rockosmith, March 19, 2006, 02:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockosmith

I am a soon to be first time Tiger owner with a couple of simple questions.  Alternator output in watts?  Normal consumption of power during cruise?  Leaving how much for accessories--heated clothing?  Thanks in advance.

apache

What year bike will help.

rockosmith

I guess knowing the year model would be most helpful.  Either a 2005 or a 2006.  I may have located a nice 2005, but if it gets gone, I probably will bite the bullet and get a new 2006.  Thanks!

TigerTrax

The Steamers are the ones with low wattage output...

leaving a measley 133 watts for any accessories.

The fuelies are well suited for heated grips, clothing, lights.

Now if you want to put on some flame thrower off road lights.....

you may have a problem...

I just bought an '06 .... don't know the wattage output.... haven't even looked.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

TiggerTwo

Quote from: "apache"What year bike will help.

I have an '05.

The shop manual (last updated in 2001!); say's 35A, however, I've been told it is actually 40A.

I need to track down the part number and get a call over to the U.K. to confirm it. I't buggin' me.

Walt
Tigger Two

toddtruby

BTW, 35 amps is equivilant to 420 watts.  I imagine the fuses are a somewhat limiting factor in the listed spec of 35 amps.

TiggerTwo

Quote from: "toddtruby"BTW, 35 amps is equivilant to 420 watts.  I imagine the fuses are a somewhat limiting factor in the listed spec of 35 amps.

Todd -  you're right.

F.Y.I. -

40A in 2005 owner's manual (little one that came with bike)

35A in Serice manual part number 3857017, 2001 copyright

Charging circuit schematic:

Looking at the schematic on page 16.9 of the shop manual.

It appears that the two fuses are limiting the system from delivering anything more than the 30A fuse limit to the battery terminal.

(Not sure how to figure out what R.P.M is needed for the system to go into the charge state? Think I heard >2500? What determine's the rquired R.P.M.?)

System electrical schematic:

Looking at page 16.23, the whole system schematic.

I now see that the proper method of connecting accessories, PIAA lights, heated grips, etc..., to a motorcycle, is to connect a relay, for each, to the ignition circuit, like the other relays in the system.

So it's ok to run the heated clothing off the terminals, to a point, as the manufacturer's purport by including the leads with the clothing - all else through the ignition system, via relay and appropriately fused.

I'm sure to some of you this was obvious. Thanks for your indulgence!

Walt
Tigger Two

Rawkus

I'll look in my manual but to figure it out is Volts X Amps = Watts.

edit

12V x 40Amps = 480 Watts

That's better than some but my ZZR1200 put out over 600 and that's almost BMW numbers.

Heated grips and electronic doo dads will be fine but get a voltmeter if you want to run lights and heated gear with those grips.

\'06 Blue Tiger

TigerTrax

Rawkus is correcto - mundo ( a little Latino speak there )

480 watts... on '05/'06 ...

Plenty for grips, heated clothing. After market flame thrower lights may be an 'el problemo' if you get too whacky!.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

tyrebyter

Fuelies came in two versions: active field alternator with 40 amp output and passive field alternator with 35 amp output. The active field is superior in every way except weight and complexity. The passive field alternator appeared in the middle of the '01 model year and we are stuck with it. Even it's meager output is only available at higher rpms while the older external alternator would build current rapidly above idle. My gripes about the newer alternator are mostly academic since it seems to run my heated gloves and charge the battery just fine. Just irritating to have Triumph move backwards from a superior charging system.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

BykBoy

For some reason, my output is only 11.6-11.8 at idle. It only goes up to 12.5-12.7 even at 6K RPM.

This is in standard operating mode with no accessories running (PIAA lights, heated grips, etc...)

I have an additional fues box installed, whcih powers my PIAA lights, upgraded horn, and aux power plug.

I Just installed a new battery since the old one was having a hard time keeping charge (even after hooking it up to the battery tender).

2001 Tiger has 40K+ miles on it. Could it be that the (original) alternator is dying and needs to be replaced?
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE