News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Interesting Article About the Tail Of The Dragon

Started by Stretch, August 14, 2007, 08:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

The Tail Of The Dragon used to be one of the best mountain roads in the southeastern U.S. - 318 curves in eleven miles as Highway 129 crosses over from North Carolina to Tennessee.

But over the past few years, the amount of traffic has increased exponentially, while the common sense of drivers has decreased by the same factor.

In order to address complaints from citizens and to cut down on the number of accidents, injuries, and fatalities, the Tennessee Highway Patrol and other Tennessee law enforcement agencies have come down on the Dragon like a ton of bricks...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

It probably won't last long (overtime for cops costs money), but in the meantime law enforcement officers are making their presence known.

Granted, something needed to be done.  The road just wasn't safe anymore, at any speed.  I don't drag my knees in twisties, but I just might get rear-ended by someone who does.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"The Tail Of The Dragon used to be one of the best mountain roads in the southeastern U.S. - 318 curves in eleven miles as Highway 129 crosses over from North Carolina to Tennessee.

But over the past few years, the amount of traffic has increased exponentially, while the common sense of drivers has decreased by the same factor.

I've never understood the fascination.  There are lots of curvy twisty roads in that part of the country.  I'd stay away because of the traffic density and the police density.

Here, the roads probably aren't as twisty, though there are some with 30+  miles of constant curves.  The best part, no other traffic and never any police. (Some areas I ride here, if you were to crash, you'd probably be there for a day or so before someone found you.  :-)

Geof

Stretch

Things are so crowded here in the east anyway, but with this really famous road attracting riders and sportscar types from Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and points within a hundred miles of them, there are simply way too many people up there trying to ride like they own the road.

Also, since it is U.S. Hwy 129, there is a bit of truck traffic.  We have all seen how the end of a trailer cheats, cutting closer to the inside of the curve than the cab...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_may1acc.html

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

WIDGIN

Ha, nice videos.  I really enjoyed the first one of the flying hog.  And the others, it's truly amazing to me how many people "ride" bikes who have no idea of the physics of tire adhesion, cornering technique, etc.  One dude in the third or forth video just putting along paying too much attention to the scenery until he gets personal with it.  Another rider whose high rate of speed never seemed to change until he met the ground.  
Damn Death machines.  All motorcycles should all be banned  :twisted:.  Except mine.  :roll:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

blacktiger

Quote from: "WIDGIN"Ha, nice videos.  I really enjoyed the first one of the flying hog.  And the others, it's truly amazing to me how many people "ride" bikes who have no idea of the physics of tire adhesion, cornering technique, etc.  One dude in the third or forth video just putting along paying too much attention to the scenery until he gets personal with it.  Another rider whose high rate of speed never seemed to change until he met the ground.  
Damn Death machines.  All motorcycles should all be banned  :twisted:.  Except mine.  :roll:

1st one had me in stitches. I do hope the rider was OK but........
2nd one took his eye off the road because of the trucks parked up.
3rd one, road positioning all wrong.
4th one, there was me thinking it was the camera bike that was going to crash and I was ready to write here that the rider in front hasn't a clue...like the way they ran over the guy several times.

Looks like a really nice stretch of road.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Stretch"Also, since it is U.S. Hwy 129, there is a bit of truck traffic.  We have all seen how the end of a trailer cheats, cutting closer to the inside of the curve than the cab...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_may1acc.html

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_trucks.html

This is outragous. Those sort of roads would have a weight limit on them in Europe.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

WIDGIN

Quote from: "blacktiger"This is outragous. Those sort of roads would have a weight limit on them in Europe.

Do you mean a weight limit on/for the Harleys?  :D
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.