News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Switch from R1150GS to 07 Tiger?

Started by passthegravy, August 03, 2007, 11:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passthegravy

I'll get things started by asking this.  I'm thinking about selling my beloved 2001 R1150GS (Blue & White), which I have set up just exactly like I want it, and getting a new ABS Tiger.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has made the switch, or who has compared both bikes.  I haven't test-ridden the Tiger yet because I'm afraid I'll buy it on the spot.  I had a 2001 Sprint ST and, while I couldn't handle the ergonomics of it, I loved that motor.  I have sat on a Tiger at the dealership, and the riding position seems exactly like my BMW (but just a tad taller, believe it or not).

retrosrock

I test rode both and chose the Tiger.  As far as the 1050 motor, I once owned a 955 Daytona and the new 1050 engine is night and day better IMHO.

Go test ride but have a buyer in your pocket for the GS before you do. :lol:

abruzzi

Quote from: "retrosrock"I test rode both and chose the Tiger.  As far as the 1050 motor, I once owned a 955 Daytona and the new 1050 engine is night and day better IMHO.

Go test ride but have a buyer in your pocket for the GS before you do. :lol:

My Tiger's a 955, and the motor is nice, but Triumph really outdid themselves in the 1050.  I have a 1050 speed triple and that motor is near perfect--smooth and unstrained all the way up to 9500 rpms, and no flat spots.

The only negative on the 955 motor--the shakes at 2500--are gone.

I've never ridden a GS, but if you've farkled for off road, that is the one 1050 Tiger drawback.  Some of the stuff is showing up--crashbars, but some things, like DS tires are lacking.

I'd love to hear that I'm wrong though.

Geof

Stretch

I think the aftermarket will catch up before too long.

As far as good dual-sport (or even knobby) tires, more and more ADV bikes are being introduced with 17-inch front wheels - The Buell Ulysses, the Ducati Multistrada, the 1050 Tiger...  As the market increases, the tire manufacturers should respond by building already-proven tires in new 17-inch sizes for the front.

Regarding luggage and skid plates, etc., all it will take is some clever dude with fabrication skills, a 1050, and a little business savvy.

If you build it, they will come  :mrgreen:

Advwannabe

Agreed Stretch,

I live in hope that a 1050 with appropriate rubber and crash bling will be able to use its lighter weight to stay on terms with a 955 in the dirt.

The other mod I'm looking into is to have the seat reapolstered to be more level with the pillion seat. My wife doesn't like the step which leaves her head in the breeze. At 6'3" I wouldn't mind the extra legroom either!

Back to the original topic, as a roadbike the 1050 is way better than an 1150GS. Refinement, vibration, handling, power, no contest. I haven't ridden a 1050 off the road to know how they compare there yet.........
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

passthegravy

In my original post, I should have made clear my riding style.  I don't take my GS in anything more than easy trails, fire roads or gravel roads.  It's just too big and heavy for me to muscle on anything more difficult than that.  And 98% of my riding is on pavement.

What I'm really trying to do is get down to one bike in the garage.  Right now I have GS and a Harley Sportster.  I love both of them, and it's a pretty complimentary pair of bikes - the GS for touring and the Sportster for blasting around town.

But I have very little free time, so I'd like to only have one bike to maintain.   And I'd rather spend my time riding than wrenching.  But if I only have one bike, it has to be a good commuter and city bike and a good touring bike too.  The Tiger 1050 is about as close as I've found to a do-it-all bike (assuming I have no offroad aspirations for it).

blacktiger

Quote from: "passthegravy"The Tiger 1050 is about as close as I've found to a do-it-all bike

SOLD to that man in Dallas.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

The gs is a nice bike. But really overprice for what it is. The tiger, is smooth, powerful(can kick the gs's ass) and very reliable.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

jhawk

Quote from: "passthegravy"In my original post, I should have made clear my riding style.  I don't take my GS in anything more than easy trails, fire roads or gravel roads.  It's just too big and heavy for me to muscle on anything more difficult than that.  And 98% of my riding is on pavement.

But if I only have one bike, it has to be a good commuter and city bike and a good touring bike too.  The Tiger 1050 is about as close as I've found to a do-it-all bike (assuming I have no offroad aspirations for it).

Test ride a Tiger. The decision will be easy. It was for me. I traded a BMW R1150RS for a 955i Tiger. I looked at a GS; but it was just too bulky and wide. My riding % is like yours. The 955i is great as a commuter; and the new 1050 is even more street-oriented.
Mike ....... \'06 Tiger, silver

Tama's Tigre

I walked into the BMW dealer with the intent to buy a GS, but after test riding it, I was very disappointed.  It had no punch, no bling... too mild mannered.  They had a gorgeous black 07 Tiger sitting right next to it.  I never considered a Triumph, but I couldn't help but want, need, to ride it.  WOW, too much punch and bling... couldn't imagine handling this beast off road.  Then I rode the 06 Tiger... just right.  In the past month I've put about 1300 miles on it, and it just keeps getting better!  :lol:

I bought the 06 Tiger because I want to do some touring in Mexico... so I needed a durable, comfortable, light weight, and fun ride.  I'm thinking about doing more future touring in the states, and for that I may want the 08 Tiger or the Sprint.  The Tiger might win out for it's riding position, and being naked.  Although that Sprint sure is sexy... even fully clothed!  8)

zombie

I bought a gs to go to Alaska with and after 1000miles really disliked it so I took my Tiger instead and what a good choice , sold the GS and never looked back
I was really disapointed with the amount of niggly problems the BMW was having as they are not cheap
Now all I have to do is a proper ride report but I'l get to it next week sometime

Stretch

Man, I wish I'd been able to take my Tiger to Alaska.  I flew in and rented a Wee-Strom instead (couldn't get enough time off).  My write-up is floating around in Ride Reports.

Looking forward to reading yours.