News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'07 - tranny / driveline lash problem - anybody else?

Started by 2old2race, August 20, 2007, 09:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2old2race

OK, I've heard a few '07 owners complain about this but mine seem to be getting worse!  Tight slow speed corner roll off the gas and when trying to "roll" back on my bike seems like it has a switch for a throtle.  Bike jerks.  Seems like when you roll out of the throtle and there is no more forward tension on the chain that there is play or somthing and when you throtle back up "BANG" and jerk forward. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.  I have duplicated it by just backing off the throtle completly at slow speed and gave the throtle quick short twist and I can make the bike "clunk and Jerk" at will.  I've got some lame ass responses from a couple of dealers and I know Triumph did not intend the bike to react this way.  Anybody else experiancing this problem?

I have adjsted the play in the throtle cable and chain tension seems to be fine

abruzzi

Quote from: "2old2race"OK, I've heard a few '07 owners complain about this but mine seem to be getting worse!  Tight slow speed corner roll off the gas and when trying to "roll" back on my bike seems like it has a switch for a throtle.  Bike jerks.  Seems like when you roll out of the throtle and there is no more forward tension on the chain that there is play or somthing and when you throtle back up "BANG" and jerk forward. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.  I have duplicated it by just backing off the throtle completly at slow speed and gave the throtle quick short twist and I can make the bike "clunk and Jerk" at will.  I've got some lame ass responses from a couple of dealers and I know Triumph did not intend the bike to react this way.  Anybody else experiancing this problem?

My first thought was chain slop.  It's probably exacerbated by the fact that when you come off the throttle, weight is transferred to the front, raising the rear suspension to where the chain is looser.  If you're sure the chain is properly adjusted, I'm not sure. (I ride an 03, so I don't have any specific info on your the new bikes)

Geof

2old2race

Quote from: "abruzzi"
Quote from: "2old2race"OK, I've heard a few '07 owners complain about this but mine seem to be getting worse!  Tight slow speed corner roll off the gas and when trying to "roll" back on my bike seems like it has a switch for a throtle.  Bike jerks.  Seems like when you roll out of the throtle and there is no more forward tension on the chain that there is play or somthing and when you throtle back up "BANG" and jerk forward. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.  I have duplicated it by just backing off the throtle completly at slow speed and gave the throtle quick short twist and I can make the bike "clunk and Jerk" at will.  I've got some lame ass responses from a couple of dealers and I know Triumph did not intend the bike to react this way.  Anybody else experiancing this problem?

My first thought was chain slop.  It's probably exacerbated by the fact that when you come off the throttle, weight is transferred to the front, raising the rear suspension to where the chain is looser.  If you're sure the chain is properly adjusted, I'm not sure. (I ride an 03, so I don't have any specific info on your the new bikes)

Geof

Thanks Geof,  It's been recomended to me to take all slack out of throtle cable and reduce chaing slack to 1 inch, I guess that's my next move..

abruzzi

I will mention that I have an 06 S3 1050 that is smooth as silk, but the suspension on that is hard as a rock, so that may keep chain slop to a minimum. My 03 Tiger has more slop than the S3.  Now, if I could get the 1050 engine in my Girly.

Geof

2old2race

Quote from: "abruzzi"

Geof

Chain slop.  Adjusted chain to 1" play and made huge difference

abruzzi

good to know.    

Geof