News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger vs GS

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2007, 05:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"When in my local Bm dealer recently buying oil filters,the guy in the service dept was telling me the first thing all their GS customers do, is buy road tyres for their bikes!!!.

Yeah, they have them fitted at the same time they're having all the warranty work done. Like leaking crankshaft oil seals needing a new clutch, replacing all the corroded bits and putting in the 15th software update etc. etc. Utter rubbish these modern MBWs. Best bike they ever made was the 1981 R80GS. Down hill ever since.

Funny e'h,i've had my Beemer 7 years and my Tiger 6,the only one thats ever let me down is the Triumph!!!

The Terrible Tiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"When in my local Bm dealer recently buying oil filters,the guy in the service dept was telling me the first thing all their GS customers do, is buy road tyres for their bikes!!!.

Yeah, they have them fitted at the same time they're having all the warranty work done. Like leaking crankshaft oil seals needing a new clutch, replacing all the corroded bits and putting in the 15th software update etc. etc. Utter rubbish these modern MBWs. Best bike they ever made was the 1981 R80GS. Down hill ever since.

Funny e'h,i've had my Beemer 7 years and my Tiger 6,the only one thats ever let me down is the Triumph!!!

Listen bloke, this is a Triumph site... If you want to talk shite about Tigers, go back to your own den, i.e. advrider, I mean, BMW.com

ps: Hey mate, why don't you just sell your Triumph to one of us, and put yourself out of your blumin misery...

blacktiger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"

Chris, how has your Triumph let you down.

Lets not turn this into a I hate Bmw forum. Even triumph has some really bad design flaws.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

Gents i don't hate either,both bikes have their plus's and minus,i'm not into this 5 year old stuff 'i'v got this bike or that bike and it's the best thing since sliced bread',you start going that route and you'll end up like the GS mob,it's all about a balanced view which some people do not seem able to do,you show me a great Beemer i'll show you a great Triumph and vice versa.

As to what let the Tiger down,phew you don't read this board often,as for selling it, why would i want to do that just because it's had a blip, my first Tiger(new) in 99 blew a head gasket at 1500 miles,i got rid of that,Triumph had it back and i had a new one,but that really is another story,and it never put me off buying another Triumph.

As for my Tiger!! with 8500 viewings there's certainley some interest out there!!,haveing said that,it has taken 3 sets of wheels 2 lots of suspension and 2 lots of brakes to get it how i want it,but then i've had to do the same with my Beemer!!!!

blacktiger

Quote from: "ned37"don't hold back, tell us what you really feel there, blacktiger :lol:

Just telling it as it is.....re UKGSer.com just have a look at the 1200GS section.
Now whilst I'm not saying my Tiger is puurrrfect, it's pretty close as nothing's fallen off or blown up. The R100GS I had was far from it.

blacktiger

What I hear from advrider.com guys all the time is about how the shaft drive on bmw gs have stranded many of them.

Did you guys see that one guys rt who had it fully modded for a iron butt ride, and it left him stranded. Insane.

Bmw is a good manufacturer, but they really should learn how to make shaft drives.

Thats one of the things I wish the tiger had, some sort of shaft drive. I guess i am spoiled, after getting a shaft, you just dont want a chain anymore. But once that shaft goes bad, forget it. Thats going to be a mmighty expensive fix!

Advwannabe

Actually Scorch, I was a bit sad when all the canbus and final drive failure stories started coming in. I'm not stuck on Triumph as a brand I just like Tigers. Now my choices are down to dirtifiyng the 1050, roadifiying the Katoom or getting a smaller adventure bike. Shame really

A 675 Tiger cub with about the same dirt/bitumen balance as the 955, or even a F800GS, now that would be something. :P
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

blacktiger

I remember when I had my steamer. The rage was to get 17 inch wheels and motard it. Few did it. But many wanted to street afy it..

Now with the 1050.. People will make them into dirt bikes.

Its a cycle... But a cycle i like seeing. The motor on the 1050 is great. It would look great as a dirt bike.

Im not stuck on Triumph either. But lately they have been producing some really interesting bikes.

Shame Honda can't do the same, they used to take risks.

Chris Canning

The problem with the 1050,they've gone 17" wheels but also a wishy washy head angle on the basis of 'We don't want anything drastic for Joe public' put 17" on your 955,it'll change direction before you've even thought about it,but if you think your stock Tiger is great,don't even go there,they'll give you a heart attack!!!

CBAT

I was paying close attention to the much rumored F800GS and waiting for it to come out. Then came along this '96 Tiger and I had to have it. It's a good thing because I was not wanting to jump in and buy a first production year bike and I'm afraid I would have jumped on the GS. The way I see it I just saved myself about $8k. I'm still going to check out the beemer at the Houston Cycle show in November but I'm not in any rush to buy now that I've got the Tiger. She'll do nicely.  :D
Bruce

blacktiger

The f800gs seems like a great idea. I think rotax makes the motors. And if thats the case, its going to be a good one. The rotax motor on the 650's is really good. Many 1150gs riders started their journeys on them, some broke, and they ended up getting f650's and finished the journey. I have never heard of any significant problems with the rotax motors.

But the tiger is still cooler :)

I wonder about the new 675 tiger thats coming out. If it has the power the 675 daytona has, forget trying to keep up with it on the 1050's.

tigerrider

Considering how much BMW is asking for the new 650 models...you can imagine how much NOT a bargain the rumored 800 will be. Plus doesn't that cylinder head have a pretty pronounced forward slant? No more than a Strom I guess though.

Quote from: "scorch"The f800gs seems like a great idea. I think rotax makes the motors. And if thats the case, its going to be a good one. The rotax motor on the 650's is really good. Many 1150gs riders started their journeys on them, some broke, and they ended up getting f650's and finished the journey. I have never heard of any significant problems with the rotax motors.

But the tiger is still cooler :)

I wonder about the new 675 tiger thats coming out. If it has the power the 675 daytona has, forget trying to keep up with it on the 1050's.