News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wiring Question

Started by Bruincounselor, August 26, 2007, 02:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

I'm adding cruise to my 2000 Girly. Can anyone tell me what color the negative lead on a coil will be? I haven't pulled the airbox off yet and my electrical skills are not always spot on.

Bruin'
Hoping to keep the smoke in the wires....
Bruin\'

blacktiger

Adding cruise. Crikey! Let us all know how that's done when you've finished.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "blacktiger"Adding cruise. Crikey! Let us all know how that's done when you've finished.

I'll even take photos. But I still need my original question answered; 47 views and not a single manual in the bunch?

Please help me - I don't want to muck this up

Bruin
Bruin\'

NortonCharlie

Brown and pink on the 955 models, it is the only manual I have.  On these all the neutral for all the coils are the same color.  The same neutral is shared with the plugs for the purge valve and SAI Solenoid valves unused on some models

Hope this helps
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bruincounselor

Thanks for the help. I knew if I was patient I would get the answer. I had guessed correctly, but this isn't something I wanted to mess up. I still have a ton of work to do to finish it up; but will do some kind of write up after a bit of testing.
I know it's not for everyone, but perhaps others out there will find it useful.

Bruin
Bruin\'

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"Brown and pink on the 955 models, it is the only manual I have.  On these all the neutral for all the coils are the same color.  The same neutral is shared with the plugs for the purge valve and SAI Solenoid valves unused on some models

Hope this helps

I'm finally getting back to the project (Work sucks). Under the airbox on each coil the terminals are labeled: 15+ on one terminal and 1- on the other. All three are Brown/Pink on the 15+. The other terminals (1-) are Brown/Yellow, Yellow/Blue, and Green/Black left to right.

So the negative side of a coil is Brown/Pink? or ?

Damn confusing. I tried to follow the wires, but they diasppear into the wiring harness never to emerge again. Why does Triumph change wire color at each connector? How often do they change colors in one model run?
Bruin\'

NortonCharlie

I looked over the schematic again, the brown and pink wire goes directly to fuse 7.  So the injectors are always supplied with + 12v when the power latch relay is engaged.  The other leads go to the computer control modules, so they fire when signaled with the ground.

Sorry, my mistake, I just saw a common lead going to the injectors and assumed it was a ground rather than actually read the schematic and see it was a 12v power supply line.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Stretch

What I thought were Purple and White negative wires...  aren't.

According to the 885i manual:

Brown and Yellow goes from the ECM to Coil 1

Yellow and Blue goes from the ECM to Coil 2

Green and Black goes from the ECM to Coil 3

Purple and White are on all three coils, as well as the Fuel Pump Relay, the Fuel Pump, and the Heated Oxygen Sensor.  It's not a ground, but 12 volts.

Sorry for the confusion.

If your cruise control system requires tapping into the Negative side of the coil, you may be out of luck with these newer ignition systems.  While older systems had one coil firing X number of cylinders, these new systems are completely different.  Even my Jeep has a coil for each plug.

As posted above, these coils have 12 volts on them all the time, and have no ground wire.

I have no clue, and no advice, on how to wire your cruise system into a bike with no negative coil wire.

Sorry.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"I looked over the schematic again, the brown and pink wire goes directly to fuse 7.  So the injectors are always supplied with + 12v when the power latch relay is engaged.  The other leads go to the computer control modules, so they fire when signaled with the ground.

Sorry, my mistake, I just saw a common lead going to the injectors and assumed it was a ground rather than actually read the schematic and see it was a 12v power supply line.

Thanks for the clarification. I hooked it up to #1 wire going to ECM. Seems to work (very short test ride). Although I'm getting engine light now. I'm going to button things up later this week (it's too dark in the garage to finish) and run it through a few heat cycles to see if it will repair itself. The ECM might be picking up that the system changed or maybe ?

I'll start a new thread on the installation once I have the bugs worked out. Where I live cruise makes sense to me; if it keeps me from getting one speeding ticket it's paid for itself.

Bruincounselor
Bruin\'