News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Source for Triumph wiring connectors?

Started by benh, September 04, 2007, 06:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benh

Does anyone know what the funky locking connectors are that Triumph uses for connecting, say, turn signal indicators to the factory wiring harness?

I'm looking to buy some so that I can tap switched 12VDC off the taillight without cutting the factory wiring harness at all.

Figure I could make up a nice Y cable and be all set.

My dealer says he doesn't have access to them, but pointed me at a couple possible places, but without knowing what they're called, or having a good part number, it's been an interesting search.

Ben

Stretch

Just don't use these...

3M Scotchlok connectors.

The connection corrodes over time, resulting in spotty (or no) current flow.

benh

Yeah, scotchlok taps are evil.  Corrosion and eventual cutting via fretting of the host wire makes them terrible.

Positaps are better, but still not great.

If I could just find a part number or decent description/manufacturer of the OEM Triumph connectors, I'd be set, but it's harder than you'd think for some reason.  Even the Triumph OEM parts sites I've checked don't show the connectors alone.  Just complete assemblies, such as a turn signal indicator.

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

benh

Nope, those aren't they.  I'll take a photo tonight when I have time, but the ones I'm looking for are the connectors that connect an indicator pigtail to the harness-side lead.

They're about 2-3 inches long, cylindrical, and push on like bullet connectors.  Mine are black, but they also come in a white translucent variety.

benh

I think my quest for these connectors may finally be successful.

A guy on another site offered these Molex part numbers for Triumph blinker connectors:

03-09-1011
02-09-1144
02-09-1119
03-09-2011
02-09-2118
02-09-2143

The good news is that given that they're Molex parts, most electronics supply places will either have them or be able to get them.  The trick, as always, is getting enough information (part numbers!) that you can find what you're looking for.

Did some googling of these part numbers, and
www.electronicsplus.com offers complete parts assemblies for the male/female connector under part number 1619PRT.  That'll get you the male and female housings as well as the conductor pins.

Digikey also stocks these parts, but didn't see that they offer full assembly kits.

Never would have found this without those part numbers from Martin R on another site, so thanks, Martin!

I've ordered a couple sets and should have something useful to use soon.

I'll post when they arrive to let everyone know if they're the right stuff.

Stretch