News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quick trip to Normandy, anyone?

Started by Jacqueslemac, September 09, 2007, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqueslemac

I have a place in France in Calvados between St LÙ and Bayeaux and will be taking a quick trip there 12th - 14th October to mow the lawn etc before the onset of Winter. (I have someone there who keeps an eye on the place when I'm not there, but he doesn't stretch to gardening.)

Anyone fancy joining me? Accommodation will be cheap - and even cheaper if you help me whizz through my tasks - and there will be plenty of time to explore some of the local roads (and greenlanes).

It'll be my first overseas trip on my Tiger 955i too.

blacktiger

Would have been nice but I've already arranged other things.

However, I get a good quantity of long weekends off work so send me a mail mailto:hgmillichap@tiscali.co.uk">hgmillichap@tiscali.co.uk next time you want company and we''ll see if it matches up.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Jacqueslemac

Will do. Next year I should manage half-a-dozen weekend trips to keep the lawn under control.

I can easily build in a tour of the D-Day beaches as they're not far away from my place.

Rod

Jacgues,

Very tempting offer, nice country side round there. Unfortunately my wife is "forcing" me to go to Sorrento that weekend for a short holiday..!
Maybe next time...

Rod

Jacqueslemac

There are a couple of us going, so there's still plenty of room for more.

I'll be arranging a similar trip next March/April and will post something on here when I've got a date sorted.

tonyb

Would have loved to have joined you but going to Thailand for two weeks on the 18th Oct plus my tigers a littel sick missing have had the carbs done once not sure if small fix or big so have been riding my other bike a lot GSX1400, will get round to fixing it soon so could be up for next year keep us posted i'm good with a mower as well, :lol:  :roll:  :wink:
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever

Jacqueslemac

Something has come up at work which means the trip next week is off anyway.

However, I'll be going in November and then again as soon as the grass starts growing - next March probably.

Jacqueslemac

Just back from our quick trip. Slept on the ferry between Portsmouth and Le Havre on Thursday night, spent Friday and Saturday morning hard at work and then went for a ride on Saturday afternoon.

First stop was the chateau at Balleroy. It's owned by the Forbes family and has a hot-air balloon museum.

Jacqueslemac

Then we headed up to the coast. The area is littered with war memorials. This one is dedicated to the memory of hundreds of Danish seamen who took part in the D-Day landings.

Jacqueslemac

The routes the armies took from Normandy to Germany are designated "Ways of Liberty". They're marked by commemorative kilometre posts. This is the first one at Utah Beach, one of the two American beaches.

Jacqueslemac

Then we headed up the eastern coast of the Cherbourg peninsula. We stopped at Barfleur. This is the port that William left on his way to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

Until he left, he was known as William the Bastard. I wonder if he knew he'd get the much better nickname of "the Conqueror"?

Jacqueslemac

We stopped for a couple of tarts in the last of the sunshine.