News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger vs. Volvo S-60

Started by kev187, September 11, 2007, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev187

I have not posted since the site was back up (Glad to see it back in action)

I thougth I would share what happened to me & the Tiger last month.

I was traveling South in the right hand lane heading home from work, when some idiot turned right from the center lane across my path.  My Crash bars dug into his fender & ripped the bumper off, then the bike sent me over the hood & down the street... the Tiger then sliding down the road.  I was only doing about 25MPH thankfully.  

The kid try to pay me to leave the scene of the accident, I am a police officer, so that did not fare well.  He got multiple tickets, & his insurance is kissing my A & getting the bike back together.

I was using the Ma's cycles crash bars, if not for those, my leg would have been the 1st thing to impact the car & of course the bike would have been trashed also (my leg being more important of course) sadly Ma's no longer makes these bars, I am looking at the Thunderbike ones now.

Some pics of the wreck, but don't worry, she will be back in shape here shortly!

Before The wreck!

Apikoros

Man, I thought this was going to be a drag racing story!!

Sorry to hear one of the idiots got you. Hope you and the bike are back on the road soon.

geoff

Glad to hear that you managed to avoid serious injury. I recently fitted the Thunderbike crash bars to my 06 Tiger and I am very happy with them. They are likely to be more expensive than most other crash bars, but I chose them because I figured they gave the best protection to rider and bike. They are not going to win any awards for being pretty, but they are functional   :)

zombie

Glad your okay but that is funny the kid trying to bribe a police officer , I would love to have seen his face when you told him you were a cop , thats priceless.
The tiger sure is a rugged beast

kev187

Drag Racing??? Why even post a story about that... a Tiger would pounce any volvo on the road in the quater I would imagine!

Life goes on.. just wish Ma's didnt stop making those crash bars :-P

Mudhen

Can't believe how good the bike looks compared to the fender on the Volvo.  Amazing.

Glad you're ok - you must have been full ATGATT?
\'96 Steamer

kev187

FUll Gear of course, I always wear everthing.. even when I pull my Vespa out ;)

The best part.. I had just recently purchased a Nolan with the Ncom bluetooth set up.. ($600) the Helmet never touched the ground!!!  MY JoeROcket jacket did not fare so well though...

noivson

Good to hear your adventure was minor...Look out for those Volvo's, or Saabs...oh well, look out for everybody! :) Good to hear the Ma's held up,
[/img]
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

SETiger

Good to hear the crash bars did their job - the bars can be replaced... Bet the kid had a double stain in his drawers - one from the crash and a bigger one after he tried to bribe an officer.  

Ric

TigerTrax

U Da Man!
Had to be a scary experience being 'locked-in' with a car.... and moving!
I also have Ma's crash bars and the reason you gave is Exactly why I bought them.... I need to hide my size 15's !

The bike really looks pretty good. I am always amazed at how well the Tigers are put together. Good luck on getting things put together.

You need to come to our Tiger Ride-In at New Canaan, WV next June.
News at 11!

PS:
When a 16 year old almost hit me.... I jumped off the bike.. ran to the car... grabbed the keys and drug him out of the car.... he was drunk  at 2pm on a Sunday!

I threw him on the ground ... he called his folks and they came running down the street. The cop showed up and said there was nothing he could do. So I told the kids ol man..If I see you kid driving during the next 3 months... I'm comin up to your house and punch your eyes out!
The cop says, " I didn't hear that!"
I walked over to the kid... handed him his keys and said, " You can go now." He got up opened the car door and his mother came running over and stopped him from driving away...... damn..... if he'd have moved ONE foot.... DUI!!

Later that night the kid comes up and apologizes.... then says he's been grounded 90 days!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

kev187

How in the world did the cop think there was nothing he could do????
He was DUI??? I am lost, my being a police officer myself???

The Ma's bars are the best, but Ma's no longer sells them.  Not sure what the deal is, they are not answering any of my messages either.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "kev187"The Ma's bars are the best, but Ma's no longer sells them.  Not sure what the deal is, they are not answering any of my messages either.

MA's is a small shop. They get around to E-mail occasionally. They still show on the website:http://www.mascycles.com/photo_gallery.asp

Call them: 701-277-4584

Ask for Bob.
Bruin\'

eldiii

Hey kev187, Last I checked (last month) Ma's is again advertising their Bars.

here is the link
http://www.mascycles.com/eshopprod_cat_ ... 1__Bla.htm

I too will attest to Ma's..several tip overs and a high side at 35MPH with some minor plastic damage......I don't work for MA but I'm on my soap box like a preacher on Sunday to praise how well they work.....their $235.95 price has paid for it self several times over.

BTW, I'm in Springfield/working in Stafford most weeks... want to link up for a ride some time?

eldiii

kev187

QuoteBTW, I'm in Springfield/working in Stafford most weeks... want to link up for a ride some time?eldiii

Yeah, I am just over in Alexandria near old town!  Do you ever post on http://www.dcrats.com  A lot of the local Triumph guys meet up often local.  Only a handful of us Tiger guys around!

kev187

Finally got the Tiger back.  It took nearly 2 months since the accident.. mostly due incompetence on the part of both the insurance company & my local Triumph Dealer.  But she is back, looks like nothing every happened, rides like nothing ever happened.  I was able to take an old Ma's cycle bar that not properly cut out & grind out the spots that needed to keep the bars from rubbing.  I am glad to have it back, could not be happier :-)

She is just 2 years old with 15,000 miles on the clock, I am hoping this bike to last my the long haul!!!!  If a Volvo at speed cannot stop it, what can ;-)