News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain replacement

Started by german, September 12, 2007, 05:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

german

Some of you have any experience with the IZUMI o¥ring chain 530 SDC in stead of DID 50v (530)?

Could you tell me if you have any bad experience with the chain spring clip or rivet pin ?

Thanks.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

Rod

Don't think you should be looking at chains using rivet clips. They are not recomended on high power motorcycles. They can come off and the chain can jam the rear wheel, not much fun when you come off at speed. Although in 30 years I've never had a problem..

Rod

CBAT

Quote from: "Rod"Don't think you should be looking at chains using rivet clips. They are not recomended on high power motorcycles. They can come off and the chain can jam the rear wheel, not much fun when you come off at speed. Although in 30 years I've never had a problem..

Rod

Did you mean to say spring clip? My manual says don't use anything but a rivet clip. Rivet clips are stronger than spring clips. BTW I have a freind with a KLR who was having problems getting the plate on his spring clip chain; size 520. He said screw it and put the clip on without the plate.  :shock:  Well, he wore out the chain and sprockets with about 10,000 miles and had zero problems with that setup. At least three rides off road in Big Bend and countless rips down the dirt county roads. I say he is one lucky dude. I pointed out the error of his ways and since his is replacing his chain he will be using a press and the plate that is supposed to be there.
Bruce

blacktiger

Quote from: "CBAT"Rivet clips are stronger than spring clips.

That's not actually true. They both have exactly the same plates which give the strength. The differece is purely the means of keeping that plate in place. The spring clip is prone to wearing through on the nylon chain guides and then "pinging" off or, being put on by numpties like your, very lucky, friend.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

CBAT

I stand corrected. How about, more reliable?
Bruce

ned37

Quotenumpties
i like that.  
wish us yanks had as many good terms as the mother countrymen.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Gonzo

When I bought the Tiger, it had a retaining clip on the master link...no rivet.   It "supposedly" was maintained by the dealer, so I figured it was OK to leave it.  I don't know how the PO rode the bike, but I went through two clips in two months, then I just went and put a rivet link on it.  No more worries.

If you don't want to spend the $100 on a motion pro chain rivet tool, pitposse.com has one for about half that price that works well.

Peace,
Bob