News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Tiger. She is puking coolant.

Started by MIUC, September 16, 2007, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIUC

Got too busy these past few days, but I have made an appointment at the dealer for tomorrow Thursday at 10:00 am.

Dealer already explained warranties do not cover damages due to not keeping fluid levels properlyÖ After me explaining what happened?  :?:  :?:  :?:

Do dealers hesitate to do work under warranty? Why?

I am not willing to pay a dime for repairs with the bike under warranty for damages not caused by me.

Iíll post back on Thursday afternoon after going to the dealer.

Hope to be back grinning soon!

MIUC

Ready to go to the dealer this morning I replenished coolant on the reservoir tank a little under the MAX line, turned the bike on to let it warm up. After it did, the coolant level raised to the rim at the reservoir tank and she puked some more.

The needle rose to just over halfway, I turned the bike off and let it cool down for a few hours. Checked coolant level, it was just over MIN. Turned the bike on to warm up again and not a drop. Rode around the block, fine. What tha @#$%. I took off to the dealer.

No changes at all in the bikeís behavior. Rode 40 miles at 75/85 MPH and the needle was barely over the Cold line. Went into city traffic for about 3 blocks and the needle rose to a bit under halfway. Stopped at dealer. Went insideÖ blab, bla, bla, paper work, went outside, the mechanic has it at idle andÖ not a drop.

They called me this afternoon and said ìThere is nothing wrong with the bike.  Maybe at the 6K service the mechanic (at another dealer) overfilled by mistake ñ It happens. Plastic elbow is fine. Hoses are set properly. No air in the system. Not a drop of coolant>.

Tomorrow, I will double check the coolant level with them and remind them about the radiator coolant level ñ if they know it is fine.

I will test-ride all over tomorrow before returning home, thoughÖ but I am grinning already.  :D

MIUC

Picked up the bike today. The mechanic assured me the bike is just fine. Nice guy by the way. British.

Rode the bike in heavy traffic for about half hour under the 2:00pm South Florida scorching heat. Temperature needle below mid point all the time, same as always. Stopped, and yesÖ she puked some more. Just a couple of drops really.

Rode another 45 minutes in traffic. Needle below mid point. Stopped. Not a drop.

Rode a total of about 100 miles in traffic, highway, open road at high RPMs and normal engine braking. Went back home. Not a drop.

I will keep on riding the bike and watching the temperature gauge (always carrying a bottle of coolant just in case). If something comes up again, I will ask the dealer to check the coolant level at the radiator and replace the cap. If they donít want to do it, Iíll do it myself.

Thanks all for the info :!:  Hopefully this will be helpful to some other N00b besides me.
I myself learned a bit more about my Tiger, which is why I read in this and other forums.

I have been talking to myself for a while soÖ Last post.

motoexplorer

My 2006 did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was fine. Got home and took it apart. Found a broken return elbow and a stuck thermostat. Replaced the elbow (1.50)/thermostat ($80) and the bike has ran fine ever since.

iansoady

Dealers. Don't you love 'em?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Apikoros

I took off the fairing of my 2003, and had the plastic elbow break off in my hand?  Has anybody had any luck finding the elbow at auto parts stores?  I don't want to order one and wait two weeks.

Thanks!

rainycoastguy

When mine went I found an elbow that fit at a garden shop that specialized in irrigation.  Probably anywhere that has water pumps, hoses and irrigation parts will have an elbow that fits.  Mine's been in for a few years without failure.