News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Passing Button

Started by Tama's Tigre, September 19, 2007, 01:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tama's Tigre

Ok, dumn question, but, what the hell is a "Passing Button"  :?:

noivson

Flash of High Beams to the preceding vehicle.
Look Out 'I'm moving on!'
See you later Allilgator

Opposite side of High/Low light switch....Left controls.
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Tama's Tigre

Noivson,

I tried flipping it but didn't see anything happen, but now that you tell me what it is  :idea:  I know why I didn't see the highbeams flash... it's because my highbeams were already on.  I ALWAYS ride with my highbeams on.   :shock:  Be seen, or die.  :!:

Thanks  :D

blacktiger

Quote from: "Tama's Tigre"Noivson,

I tried flipping it but didn't see anything happen, but now that you tell me what it is  :idea:  I know why I didn't see the highbeams flash... it's because my highbeams were already on.  I ALWAYS ride with my highbeams on.   :shock:  Be seen, or die.  :!:

Doh!  :oops:
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Tama's Tigre

Told you tigers it was a dumn question  :oops:

Rod

Just hope I'm not on the same bit of road when you're coming my way.

HIGH BEAMS ALL THE TIME?

YOU GOTTA BE JOKING.......!

Rod

Tama's Tigre

Rod,

Maybe in London, you don't have the motorcycle fatalities we have here in the states.  The most common is someone making a left turn in front of you because "they didn't see you."  

According to the Hurt Study, (the most comprehensive motorcycle safety study to date): "The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision."

According to the National Association of State Motorcycle Safety Administrators: "Use high beams rather than low beams and consider using a modulating headlight if your state allows it."

It is common practice here, to ride with your highbeams on during the day.  Because of the ambient (day) light, on-comming highbeams are not blinding, but they do (help) make you stand out to the cages.  At night, however, I would of course, dim the highbeam to any on-comming traffic (including you, my friend, if we were sharing "the same bit of road").  

No, I'm not joking... It's a matter of survival.  Sorry if I offended your sensibilities.

Tama

PS: any one else, besides Rod, have a constructive opinion  :?:

noivson

Personally I don't use 'em all the time. Being noticed, as you know IS very prudent. In the US motorcyclists are not given fair share of the road. Any tips to help be seen are in your favor. Hi-Vis colors have become popular. Turn signals on (not flashing) help. Personally I'm not too reserved when out and about:
[/img]
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Rod

I had forgotten that you see more bright sunshine in the States and high beam would be more visible. Here in the U.K we haven't seen the sun for about six months being covered by a permanent rain cloud! So low beam is good enough... My wife and I went to Florida last week just to refresh our minds as to what sun and heat are really like. A bit sticky but it was  very nice all the same!!

Rod

Tama's Tigre

Apology accepted   :?

iansoady

Although it "makes sense" intuitively that headlights make you more visible, there is substantial research to indicate that under many conditions they actually make it harder to see you. They can also look as if you're flashing your lights when the bike is going over bumps.

There are some interesting discussions here and here
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

There's also a difference between being seen and blinding the poor fuckers.

Oh, I forgot they're blind anyway. Silly me.

But, it's acknowledged that being dazzled makes judging speed and distance harder.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

TRKTEK

I ride on low beam during the day, and use the passing lamp feature to draw attention at intersections when I see acager signalling a left turn.....I work that poor button so hard sometimes  :D ......seems to wake them up
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

zadok_oz

Getting back to the original question......I have never seen the pass button used yet when someone is about to overtake, even tho that is what I believe it is for. I think all road users are supposed to flash if I remember rightly. :shock:
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

TigerTrax

Here in the USA...

1. Flashing another driver is interpreted as 'road rage' and ticketable.

2. Flashing sometimes confuses other drivers because they do not know why you are flashing.

But we Tiger riders know what it's for:
GTFOOTW !

So FLASH all you want!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'