News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2.35mm Valve Shim

Started by JetdocX, November 18, 2007, 05:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Anyone got one for me?  It's standing between me and getting my Steamer back together.  

The local supply has dried up and the local parts brains can't figure out how to get more here for the next sorry jackass like me with the same problem. :evil:

Thanks.
From parts unknown.

BR

Het JetdocX,

I checked my collection of approx. 50 shims and the smallest I have 2.50mm (0.99").  Sorry! (all purch thu flea-bay).
Only thing else I can offer is to try these folks:
http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/str ... eshims.htm
They have a 2.35mm shim listed for $5, pn CW13-7525.
I've never used them so I can't comment any further.

BR
San Jose, CA
'98 BRG Tiger[/url]

JetdocX

Thanks but one of my old f650 pals is sending me  a shim.

The shims used in these engines are all the same.  If you have an over the bucket shim, it will fit in any other bike that has them.

BMW F650 (engines older than 2006), older Kawasakis, and ours as well.  I think the BMW K bikes might use the same shim as well, but I can't say for sure.
From parts unknown.

BR

The key here is that our bikes use the 25mm shim but not ALL bikes with the shim over-the-bucket use that size.
HONDA/YAMAHA AND TRIUMPH 25MM DIAMETER
These the are Honda CB750,900,1100, CBX series, Yamaha Seca series from the 80's.
KAWASAKI/YAMAHA/BMW   29MM DIAMETER
These are the older Yamaha XS1100, 850, 750s, the older Kaw KZ series and the BMW K series (the "flying brick" I think).
SUZUKI  29.5MM  DIAMETER
The old GS 750, 850, 1000 series... late 70's, early 80's (before the 16v GS models appeared which used forked rocker arms and adjustable tappets).
Regards,
Brendan
'98 BRG Tiger

JetdocX

Thanks, BR.  That info is valuable to me right now.  I still need the friggen shim now, though! :evil:
From parts unknown.

ned37

don't know why any dealer couldn't research one.  i know a local dealer here was able to find 25mm shims around that size thru his various suppliers.  if not, get to work on one with a piece of plate glass and some 100 sandpaper taped on the top... watch your fingertips :lol:
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

BR

JetdocX,
Did you get your shim yet?  If you are still coming up short, I can call my local Triumph/BMW shop to see what they have.
You needed a 2.35 or 2.40, correct?

BR

JetdocX

I finally got the right 2.35 from a pal in Vegas.  I had to order a 2.40 from my friendly local Trumpet dealer.  Makes me want to buy a large collection of shims for the next time, but what will I be riding 24,000 miles from now? :lol:

Flashback:  I remember the past fondly.....riding my new to me Steamer all over without a care in the world..... :evil:
From parts unknown.

BR

Alrighty then.. glad you're moving forward on that.
Btw, I have around 50 or so shims and I got them through ebay a while back.. fairly cheap too.  Just search for "valve shim" and look for the 25mm size that we need.  It got me through my valve adjustment no problem and I had 4 or 5 out of spec. Anyway, if any of you other Steamer folks need a shim, I can always see what I have...
BR
'98 BRG Steamer with carb issues (imagine that!)

blacktiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"The local supply has dried up and the local parts brains can't figure out how to get more here for the next sorry jackass like me with the same problem. :evil:

Thanks.

This puzzles me. Is your local supply a dealer? If so, what do they do if they service a bike that needs a shim?
My local dealer got me 2.60 very quickly just the other day.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

JetdocX

I finally sorted this mess out.  They don't keep the sizes I needed in stock so I had to order them.  It took them a while to figure out how to do this.
From parts unknown.