News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

carbs?????

Started by aeronca, September 20, 2007, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ned37

the next thing i would try is to double ck the pilot fuel screws under the front of the fuel bowls.  sounds like you're running lean.  run them in using a cutdown screwdriver about an inch long and note where they were set.  reset them at about 2 turns out .  run it and duplicate your problem. if its better or worse. change them a 1/4 turn at a time til you get the best performance.  my stock jetting is right on the edge of too lean and any change in the airbox at all causes it to bog off idle.  my optimal setting is about 1 3/4 turns out.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

tigerrider

Quote from: "nightrunner"Sorry to hear it.  But better to bite the bullet and get to riding again.   Mine used to stumble a bit when rolling on the throttle, and I had to rejet it richer to get that to go away.
Cheers

Mine did the same just after breaking it in...rejet fixed that right up.

I still wanna do the voltage mod you did.

RiderX

So I had posted over on the Yahoo Tiger group that I have been having trouble with my '98 stalling out until it gets warmed up ever since the mornings here dropped below 50 degrees. I was advised that the carbs are probably adjusted to too rich (I bought the bike in the Phoenix area last July) and plan on doing the adjustments tonight. Long story short, I came across this article: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carb-adjustment/ that might be worth it for you to try. I picked up some of this stuff while I was out at the parts store just now and plan to use it to clean things up while I have it apart. It sounds like it can't hurt and you certainly have tried everything else!

tigerrider

Quote from: "RiderX"So I had posted over on the Yahoo Tiger group that I have been having trouble with my '98 stalling out until it gets warmed up ever since the mornings here dropped below 50 degrees. I was advised that the carbs are probably adjusted to too rich (I bought the bike in the Phoenix area last July) and plan on doing the adjustments tonight. Long story short, I came across this article: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carb-adjustment/ that might be worth it for you to try. I picked up some of this stuff while I was out at the parts store just now and plan to use it to clean things up while I have it apart. It sounds like it can't hurt and you certainly have tried everything else!

I am on the travel group for Yahoo..but lost my membership to the main forum due to email change and a hate of Yahoo Groups.

If you want to jump into those carbs on a '98...please check out the nice write up Nightrunner did here:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20893&highlight=#20893

RiderX

Quote from: "tigerrider"I am on the travel group for Yahoo..but lost my membership to the main forum due to email change and a hate of Yahoo Groups.

If you want to jump into those carbs on a '98...please check out the nice write up Nightrunner did here:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20893&highlight=#20893

Well I certainly appreciate that info and wish I had it last night! We went round and round with trying to figure out a way to reach the fuel mixture screws on the carbs and finally gave up as it had become too late. I can see now that the best option is just to pull the carbs out all together and then set the screws per this article. We had wondered what a good setting would be and this at least gives us a starting point. Thanks tigerrider!

aeronca

well brothers and sisters -  it's fixed. picked it up from the shop this afternoon and she runs like a trumpet. turns out that on two carbs an "O" ring that sits down where the needle valve runs through the slide, got sucked through the jet. oh well, i guess i should have been more thorough in my inspection. that was the most expencive tank of gas i ever bought. thanks for all the good input and insight to all. :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mudhen

That's a new one on me...

Good to have you back.
\'96 Steamer

aeronca

say mudhen brother, you should post some in-depth pic's of your fender instalation. i think thats my next thing.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

nightrunner

Quote from: "RiderX"Well I certainly appreciate that info and wish I had it last night! We went round and round with trying to figure out a way to reach the fuel mixture screws on the carbs and finally gave up as it had become too late. I can see now that the best option is just to pull the carbs out all together and then set the screws per this article. We had wondered what a good setting would be and this at least gives us a starting point. Thanks tigerrider!

Jumping in late here.  But colder air would be denser and, seems to me, would lead to a leaner condition.   Add to that a cold engine and I'm not surprised its stalling.  Anyway I did not read your Yahoo post.  Guessing you can't touch the throttle when its cold or it dies?

When I adjusted those screws, I wore a glove and used a tiny (and short) screwdriver to adjust.   And I assume you must have had the carbs off at some time.  You had to drill out the plugs covering the mixture screws, right?  Or did the PO do that?  Anyway I found that mine were 2.5-2.75 turns out already so no more room to adjust anyway (3 is about the limit).    What I should have done was invest a few bucks and get the right angle gear driven screwdriver that Motion Pro sells for just this purpose.  

Anyway good luck with it!
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

RiderX

QuoteJumping in late here. But colder air would be denser and, seems to me, would lead to a leaner condition. Add to that a cold engine and I'm not surprised its stalling. Anyway I did not read your Yahoo post. Guessing you can't touch the throttle when its cold or it dies?

When I adjusted those screws, I wore a glove and used a tiny (and short) screwdriver to adjust. And I assume you must have had the carbs off at some time. You had to drill out the plugs covering the mixture screws, right? Or did the PO do that? Anyway I found that mine were 2.5-2.75 turns out already so no more room to adjust anyway (3 is about the limit). What I should have done was invest a few bucks and get the right angle gear driven screwdriver that Motion Pro sells for just this purpose.

So the problem isn't that if I touch the throttle it dies. The problem is that if I don't hang on the throttle and keep it above 2k rpm it stalls. I pulled the covers off last weekend to take a look at adjusting the idle mixture screws and found that I simply couldn't fit my skinny little hands back in to reach the inner carb. I am not sure how this is done without completely pulling the carbs out of the bike. I suppose I will do that next weekend as having it stall at every stoplight on the way in to work is simply not an option. [/quote]

nightrunner

But at some point you must have drilled out the brass plugs that cover the mixture screws, right?  If not, you are tryingto reach the wrong screws.  Or maybe the Mikuni screws (1994-1997) were not covered to begin with.

They are a couple of gear-driven right-angle screwdrivers you can buy for this job.  The good one is about $100.  I think I have seen one for around $30.  You can check the Tucker-Rocky catalogs on-line.  They are definitely in there.  But I don't think they sell to the public; maybe, but I think they are distributors only.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

RiderX

nightrunner wrote:
QuoteBut at some point you must have drilled out the brass plugs that cover the mixture screws, right? If not, you are tryingto reach the wrong screws. Or maybe the Mikuni screws (1994-1997) were not covered to begin with.

The previous owner removed the plugs to adjust the screws to pass emissions testing in AZ. I am assuming this may even be what caused the problem I now have here at 2400ft ASL. In any case, right-angle screwdriver or not, I just don't see how to fit it back in there. Perhaps it comes with a mirror or fiber-optic lens that also lets you see where it's going? Sorry, I don't mean to sound facetious, it's just frustrating to not be able to make a simple adjustment like this.

ned37

to make a screwdriver for the pilot fuels, i cut a small screwdriver halfway down the handle.  when i got to the steel shaft, i pushed the plastic to the tip and cut the shaft at that point, and jammed the tip down into the handle.  i now had 2 small screwdrivers after putting the back half on the grinder.  i sprayed them white and numbered the flats for reference.  it seems the one with the original tip works better.  and to get my hand (size 10 glove) to the middle carb, it works easier because i have my oil breather hose cut off with a breather filter on it so i can just swing it out of the way (and i don't worry about dumping the bike over on its side)
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

aeronca

well   -   it was running great. this morning on the way home sitting in the lovely seattle commute, it started dropping one cylinder. by the time i got home 35 miles later it was running like crap. top end was good - lots o power, but horrible low end. lot of hesitation. so it went right back to the dealer. im hoping its a carb issue so it will be covered but im leaning more twords an electrical issue now. maybe a coil or a pick up some where. i'll keep you all posted.        
        eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

skoron

aeronca

Did you get your bike back yet?  Sounds like what my Tiger does on occassion.  Dealer talked me out of the direct coil replacement (TT600) that I was planning.  But, the issue has been hit or miss and won't do it with them.  Unresolved at this point for me.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.