News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

das boot?????

Started by aeronca, November 01, 2007, 06:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

Oh, boots. How you confuse me.

I've been rocking a pair of Clarks work boots, but after two seasons the soles are nearly worn through. It's obvious they weren't made for motorcycling. The soles are really flexible, there's no ankle protection except for a thin piece of leather, and they don't go up the calf at all as they are short. They are all day comfy though, breathe well, and fit like a glove. I'll miss that about these boots.

So I've been searching for a good touring/dual sport boot. I understand the two can generally be mutually exclusive, but some crossover has to be found somewhere. I found an epic thread on ADVRider.com here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144802 -- where they were trying to find the perfect "all around" boot. One with good protection, but with the ability to walk around in comfortably. It seems the ones that have good protection aren't comfy for walking, and vice versa.  WTF?! Seems like such a simple thing.  Touring boots typically do not have any real treads to speak of, and MX boots are usually way to stiff to walk in for more than a few steps.

But aside from walkability and protection, I also have a list of other features I want:
- Resoleable
- Waterproof
- Uses buckles for closure

I'm still searching. I've found some contenders, but nothing that fits the bill I've outlined without some compromises.

So here are my top contenders:

Sidi Discovery Rain - people seem to like these. lacks ankle protection from what I can see, but otherwise looks great.

Gaerne Balance Classic - people report super comfort, but appears to lack ankle and toe protection, also the 2008 model is not waterproof.

Aerostich Combat Touring - reported comfort, but lacks any armer at all, other than the thick leather. Must treat with "stuff" to make them waterproof.

TCX Infinity - reported comfort, but does not appear resoleable

Dainese Virunga WP - reported comfort, does not appear resoleable

Am I missing any boots here that may fit my criteria? Am I asking too much? Should I stop asking questions?

I'm probably going to end up just pulling the trigger on one of these and just living with it, but I wish that there was something out there that was everything I've ever wanted.. I guess I'm a selfish American thinking someone should have asked me what I thought.  :roll:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Mustang

Quote from: "paulie"Oh, boots. How you confuse me.

Am I missing any boots here that may fit my criteria? Am I asking too much? Should I stop asking questions?

I'm probably going to end up just pulling the trigger on one of these and just living with it, but I wish that there was something out there that was everything I've ever wanted.. I guess I'm a selfish American thinking someone should have asked me what I thought.  :roll:
Check out the A stars the wife has a pair that she loves and caan walk in them too , waterproof also

John Stenhouse

I have Sidi Couriers, which I think are called something else on your side of the pond. Apart from the waterproof part they fulfill all your criteria. The waterproofing is solved by sealskinz waterproof socks and Roberts your aunties wife!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

I have the TCX/Oxtar Infinity boots and have now done about 5,000 miles in them in varying weather. Although they are not resoleable, the sole is showing no sign of wear but grips very well when walking, the leather still looks like new if I apply a bit of conditioner. I have not had a single leak and they are very comfortable for all day wear including walking when on tour. There are also some good deals to be had on them if you look around.

Highly recommended!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

aeronca

i think the couriers are called discoveries over here, which is what i have - awsome boot. my buddy at work just got a pair of combat lite's from aerostitch and really likes them. they have the same soul as the discovery but lack the closoure  system that the sidi's have and are not waterproof or have protection.the nice thing about the aerostitch is there boots are sidi's - can be resoled, and are really solid. sidi also makes a cheaper version of  the discovery called the "set up". from what i have read there pretty good too.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Tigger_rider

The boot portion of the combat touring doesn't have much armor except for heavy leather. From the ankle up, however, the protection is very heavy on the front. I found the stock gum soles lasted about 1 year then I had them resoled with regular vibram lug boot soles. I have ridden in very heavy rain, (they dont call this place WASHington for nothing) and have never had a leak. I use regular boot grease on them several times a year, melted in with a hair dryer. I would definitely buy another pair if these should happen to wear out before I die from old age.  OLY