News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Go To post #167 to an archive pdf file of the mod with pics

I posted this on the old site, but I thought I better get this over here:

Do yourself a favor and update the wiring a bit.  The stock wiring looses anywhere from 0.5vdc to 1+ volts in the stock wiring/connectors/fuse between   the Regulator/Rectifier (RR) and the battery.  Here is how to solve this.  By the way, this mod works for any bike and I have done the exact same mod on every bike I have owned since I discovered it in the mid 80's.

Readers digest version:

Unhook the connector from the RR to the bikes harness.  Tape off the connector coming from the bike, you will not be using it any more.

Buy yourself the heaviest duty fuse kit like this.  I got this at NAPA.

Put a ring terminal on one end big enough for your battery terminal.

Build yourself a splice for the other end.  The RR has 4 wires.  Two are 12vdc and two ground.  You are just splicing the two powers into one wire and the two grounds into one wire.  Put F spade terminals on the end.

Here is my ground splice.

Fit the power and ground wires into the factory connector.  Tape it up really good and then attach them directly to the battery.  Install a new 30a fuse and you are done.  You have just reduced the distance from the RR to the battery.  My charge voltage on my dash meter went from an all time best of 13.5 vdc to a running average of 14.3 to 14.5 vdc.  The bike seems to run crisper, but that could be in my head.  But even at idle with everything running, it seldom drops below 12.8vdc.

curt

Good Idea. I did a similar thing on my KLR. The first thing I noticed was a brighter headlight...
Looks like a good project for this winter.
So many roads, so little time

tcbezza

Does anybody know if this is the same for an 05 Tiger. I have spent 30 minutes looking for the first connector that you should disconnect but I can't find it any where :oops:

I want to try and make the headlights brighter, even my 72 BSA has a better headlight, but it does run a 7" Lucas car unit complete with halagon bulbs.

Thanks
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Sasquatch

It is just about exactly the same on every bike from many manufacturers I have ever owned.  Find the regulator and follow the wire.  It is about 10" away down the wire.

iansoady

Quote from: "tcbezza"Does anybody know if this is the same for an 05 Tiger. I have spent 30 minutes looking for the first connector that you should disconnect but I can't find it any where :oops:

I want to try and make the headlights brighter, even my 72 BSA has a better headlight, but it does run a 7" Lucas car unit complete with halagon bulbs.

Thanks

I've done it my 04 - the connector was up under the back of the tank. Much easier with the tank removed but I had it off anyway.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Coastie

this mod is awesome!

i have been looking for a way to get more power for almost a year now!

my bike is running so much better.

TigerTrax

Hey Sas...
Good stuff.... I'll be looking to that this winter.

I'll bet you'd get better results ( minor as they might be ) if you
soldered your connections/ends ...

for those of you who do not have a 'mini-torch' ....
pussy foot your tail over to Home depot and get a KIT for about $15!

Trax
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Sasquatch

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Hey Sas...
Good stuff.... I'll be looking to that this winter.

I'll bet you'd get better results ( minor as they might be ) if you
soldered your connections/ends ...

for those of you who do not have a 'mini-torch' ....
pussy foot your tail over to Home depot and get a KIT for about $15!

Trax

Yes, you are right.  But, in my defense, we are an engineering company and those are the good spade ends and I have the proper tool for getting the proper crimp on them.  This is not cheap harbor freight/Autozone crap.

BykBoy

Just so I understand, you connect the new + and - wires on top (in addition) to the existing batary connections, right?
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Sasquatch

Yup.  Just giving them a nice short run to the battery.

overandunder

Not sure I follow whats happening with this mod. Doesn't this bypass the Reg/Rec ? If so how do you stop the battery getting fried? What happens to the wiring in the 'taped up - not going to be used anymore' section?

Any chance of a wiring diagram posted to make it clearer (before and after) for the more 'technically challenged' !?

Thanks

Sasquatch

No.  All you are doing is shortening the wiring between the RR and the battery.  You eliminate 2 connectors, 1 fuse, multiple connections and about 18" of wire.  You are also shortening the ground considerably.

Sorry, I do not have a wiring diagram.  Would need to show you in person.

overandunder

Thanks for the swift reply, and for making things clear.  Amazing the difference that a few unnecessary 'extras' can make in lost voltage between alternator and the battery.

I had a Yamaha (from new) that needed to have the battery replaced after less than 2 years - almost certainly due to a poor charge of the battery from the bike.

Thanks again.

Sasquatch

Your Yamaha's battery was probably getting over charged.  Every Yamaha I have owned (5) charged at better than 15.0 volts.  Yamaha's spec says that 15.3 is the high end of acceptable.  15.3 volts is way too much.  No matter what I did, on every Yamaha I owned, batteries were killed within 2 years.

Cleaverid

Thanks for the mod Sasquatch, just about done with mine. I was at 12.9 at idle, we'll see what I get when I get it back together. I still have a couple more mods to do and I may have Pat replace my head gasket since I found a minute amout of coolant leaking from the head gasket near the header.

Cleav
Always look downstream