News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazoo

Nimrod11

Quote from: "hkousoulos"Hi John...do you know here i can find one of this meters???

Hi hkousoulos, sorry I hadn't seen your post. The link above is where I got it. Good luck!
----------
Tiger 2004

hooligan971

I was just clicking on all the mods in this section and like an idiot, read about this mod without really reading the 955 part lol. Stopped and picked up the parts today, got home, tried to find the connection, realized something wasn't exactly looking right on my 99 according to the first post, came in and read to the second page where the question about this mod on 99-00 Tigers came about, posted that maybe someone forgot to mention that, went back and read the first page again and noticed the post title and now I'm sitting here like an idiot editing my first stupid post  :?
Oh well, Not the first time I felt slightly retarded and more than likely not the last.
 Still glad I found this site. Awesome info. I just might need a Special Ed tutor to help me out with the reading part   8)
99 Tiger
61 Bonneville
88 KZ1000p
66 Tiger
06 Monster (sold)

whisperquiet

I just completed the "voltage fix" or as they say on the Thumper Talk site for the Suzuki DRZ400S......the "free power mod" on my '06 Girly.  It was pretty easy to do after I removed the gas tank to access the R/R connector.  My voltage at the  battery went from 12.5 v before the mod and 13.5 v after the mod......and around 14.8 v at 3000 rpm.

HockleyBoy

Sorry to ask what is probably a stupid question but I know nothing about auto electrics and want to attempt the voltage fix.

Please could someone tell me what size F Type spade connectors I need and where I can get some in the UK of reasonable quality.

Thanks
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nimrod11

I don't remember the size but I can check when I get home.

Just a suggestion: make sure you get top quality products - mine melted away and left me dead. The good thing is that the way I did it, I just disconnected and went back to factory standard.

Also, make sure you really need it. Don't just do it because you feel like it. If you never had a dead battery, don't worry.
----------
Tiger 2004

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Nimrod11"I don't remember the size but I can check when I get home.

Just a suggestion: make sure you get top quality products - mine melted away and left me dead. The good thing is that the way I did it, I just disconnected and went back to factory standard.

Also, make sure you really need it. Don't just do it because you feel like it. If you never had a dead battery, don't worry.

Thanks Nimrod, only considering the fix because I have recently had a flat battery a couple of times. Reg Rec and battery replaced and stator is ok but voltage is still not great so I thought this might help.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Nimrod11

Do you have any extra electric loads? Lights, heated vest, microwave, 50" TV? Should be OK with no extras and without the fix.
----------
Tiger 2004

HockleyBoy

It is ok now but I am not using my heated grips, GPS etc at the moment, my worry is that I will still have problems when I want to use everything so I am hoping this will give me some leeway.

Have got some good quality Marine cable 8awg and 10awg along with some Marine battery terminals and am reasonably competent with crimpers and a soldering iron so just need to sort out good F type connectors in the right size.

iansoady

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Also, make sure you really need it. Don't just do it because you feel like it. If you never had a dead battery, don't worry.

I did mine as an insurance rather than because I had a problem. It's easy and cheap enough, gives me another excuse to poke about when it's too miserable outside to ride, and does seem to rectify a design fault.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Nimrod11

I'm not 100% sure about how these things are numberd, but I bought a box at Home Depot of the brand Gardner Bender size 15. I think the part number is 15-153F and underneath it says "16-14" (not sure what that means). Look for the fully insulated female disconects.

Now, just a warning: the ones I actually used on the mod were not these, but they look the same to me. Just a small Murphy chance...

Good luck!
----------
Tiger 2004

HockleyBoy

Thanks Nimrod, I can find these and will check they are spot on before crimping them on.

Nimrod11

Here you go. A bad cell phone picture, but just for reference.
----------
Tiger 2004

HockleyBoy

Thanks Nimrod, you were correct on the connectors, voltage fix done and the bike is running well.

Danno88

Since I had the tank off to clean the air filter anyway, I decided to perform this mod.  Easy to do, and although I am yet to have the bike out on the road, I did notice all the lights were brighter.  INcluding the dash and turn signals.  I see 14.37 volts at the batt at idle.   :lol:

04 Tiger
Danno88

04 Tiger 955i
02 Yamaha FJ1200