News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kraftsman 73

This is a great thread.
I found a Maxi fuse holder on Amazon.
American Terminal 115LF Waterproof 8-Gauge Maxi Fuse Holder.
Here is the link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001762LE4
Just beware, as delivered, I don't see how the fuse holder is waterproof.  Fuse holder is slightly different that the holder in the product's picture.  I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Question for those that has made the wiring modification.

What gauge wire did you use for the two leads heading to the R/R and exiting the R/R to the ring terminal that will be bolted to the negative post of the battery?  10 gauge or 12 gauge?
Pretty certain I have all the parts to make up the two wiring leads.
Thanks in advance,
Kraftsman 73

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "Kraftsman 73"Question for those that has made the wiring modification.

What gauge wire did you use for the two leads heading to the R/R and exiting the R/R to the ring terminal that will be bolted to the negative post of the battery?  10 gauge or 12 gauge?
Kraftsman 73

I used good quality Marine cable, 8awg  to the battery and 10awg for the splice I think.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Van Isle Mountain Tiger

Thanks Sasquatch. I thought I was going to have to replace my battery. It didn't have enough juice to crank the engine. As soon as I did this easy mod, the problem went away. '03 Tiger

birddogone

I have read all 9 pages and all sound terrific. Can I use the Eastern Beaver H4 dual headlight relay in conjunction with this mod or should I use just one or the other?
Thanks,
Rod

2006 tiger
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

deepsouthtiger

GREAT MOD!!!  Thanks for the info. Did mine a few months back. Works a charm!
Sasquatch  :notworthy
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

nojohn

what exactley does this vlotage fix ,fix?

Mustang

Quote from: nojohn on November 30, 2012, 07:19:20 PM
it gets rid of some of the extra spaghetti that triumph builds the bike with .................

the end result is you reduce some of the resistance that is in the xtra cable and plug connectors , that go back to the battery . with the net gain being up to 1 volt xtra that makes it back to the battery .

Bear in mind this won't increase your ability to run mega watt lights and heated vests at the same time . IT DOES NOT INCREASE POWER AVAILABLE . It only helps to get the missing volt back .

the stator will still only output the amount of WATTS that it is designed for .

iansoady

Quote from: Mustang on November 30, 2012, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: nojohn on November 30, 2012, 07:19:20 PM
it gets rid of some of the extra spaghetti that triumph builds the bike with .................

plus that spaghetti is way undersized for the current it takes. There is a side benefit in that it frees up a spare live lead.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

deepsouthtiger

Mustang, just curious, do you know of a stator "upgrade" for the Girly? Or is that just opening a Pandoras Box of other issues?
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits

dino246

I spoke to the nice folks at Ricks electronics, they said you actually free up an additional 50-70 watts by using the upgraded Mosfet regulator since it is more efficient at converting the AC output from the stator to DC 12V.

birddogone

I just found out by way of amp meter, my Girly at idle is at 14.1 to 14.3. With the heated grips on high it is still at 14 amps at idle. I'm leave'n well enough alone!   :XXsunsmile
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Hmm,  do you mean volts by any chance?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

birddogone

I think you'd be right brother man...I guess there's a reason they call it a volt meter......... :hat10

Thanks!
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Fross

I have now upgraded my Tiger following this guide. I bought a "Maxi Blade Fuse Holder 100 AMP" on ebay plus a 30amp Maxi fuse to fit it. I soldered on the connectors making two leads that look like this (photo1)

When I fitted them to the bike I realised my mistake. So thought I'd put out a WARNING. When I fitted my Lucar connectors into the Tigers RR outlet connector I realised that my connectors were not insulated and are very close together, if squeezed when covering the joint with insulating tape could touch together and cause a dead short. Obviously it would blow the 30amp Maxi fuse. Until I assembled the whole thing I hadn't realised how close the positive and negative terminals become in the original RR connector. I was lucky I didn't touch them together. I have now insulated the Lucar connectors and taped up the whole connection the fuse sits nicely next to the tank. This is what the job looked like when I realised my mistake. (photo2)
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

birddogone

Thanks Fross for the pictures and update. When I did a voltage check on my 06 tiger I got around 14.2 Volts at idle without the upgrade, so I've passed on doing it. I
don't know why, but I guess I'm lucky..   :thumbsup
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger