News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjago

Quote from: Fross on December 18, 2012, 12:54:56 AM
I have now upgraded my Tiger following this guide. I bought a "Maxi Blade Fuse Holder 100 AMP" on ebay plus a 30amp Maxi fuse to fit it. I soldered on the connectors making two leads that look like this (photo1)

When I fitted them to the bike I realised my mistake. So thought I'd put out a WARNING. When I fitted my Lucar connectors into the Tigers RR outlet connector I realised that my connectors were not insulated and are very close together, if squeezed when covering the joint with insulating tape could touch together and cause a dead short. Obviously it would blow the 30amp Maxi fuse. Until I assembled the whole thing I hadn't realised how close the positive and negative terminals become in the original RR connector. I was lucky I didn't touch them together. I have now insulated the Lucar connectors and taped up the whole connection the fuse sits nicely next to the tank. This is what the job looked like when I realised my mistake. (photo2)

I negated the whole worry about the two connections touching in the regulator output connection by just removing them from the connector and heat shrinking them on their own and then taped together and secured em with zip ties.   Didn't want to loose the original (now empty connection) so I re-secured it to the unused wire loom connection and heat shrinked it closed, with the possibility of using it later for a power and/or ground source. Sorry for my lack of pictures  I might be able to grab a few at a later time, but the ones on here are pretty much the same as mine.  The mod has provided me with a usable 14.5 volts and with heated gear and grips on a normal of 13.2 on the freeway.

Good luck

05 Triumph Tiger 45K miles (lucifer orange)
98 Triumph Tiger 80K miles (sold)
98 Triumph T595 33K miles (sold :-(
04 MV Agusta Brutale 2500 miles (wifes)
93 GSXR 1100 85K miles (totalled)
91 GSXR 750 75K miles (sold)
86 Ninja 600 (sold)

Fross

Quote from: bjago on December 19, 2012, 12:37:42 AM
I negated the whole worry about the two connections touching in the regulator output connection by just removing them from the connector and heat shrinking them on their own and then taped together and secured em with zip ties.   Didn't want to loose the original (now empty connection) so I re-secured it to the unused wire loom connection and heat shrinked it closed, with the possibility of using it later for a power and/or ground source. Sorry for my lack of pictures  I might be able to grab a few at a later time, but the ones on here are pretty much the same as mine.  The mod has provided me with a usable 14.5 volts and with heated gear and grips on a normal of 13.2 on the freeway.

Good luck

Hi Bjago,  Good idea, I wish I'd thought of doing that. I might have a look at changing the connection I've made.
Thanks, Fross
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

audiododd

It's been a while since anyone posted here, but hopefully folks still look at it.  How are you guys making your splice?  From Sasquatch's original picture, I get the basic idea -- the push-on connectors go on either end and the center is wired to the single line to the battery.  Is everybody just winding/soldering the connection or what?

Thanks,

Dodd
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

haggis95

Great info on this thread. I'll be doing this over winter.

I need to practice my wiring skills first though ;)
There's a Tiger in my garage

Chris Canning

I only read the first couple pages!! :icon_redface:,then realised a maxi fuse hold might help and fitted one of those as well.

rex007can

I know it's  a dead thread but figured I'd try.

Just did this fix on an 01 this afternoon(just bought it)
Seemed to work, as in I was getting below 12 at idle,  and now seem to be getting 13v on the meter... BUT.
Soon as I started it,  the engine light came on,  wouldn't turn off.
Went back and undid the fix,  light still on.

Now I have to wonder if I messed something up...
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mustang

it needs three heat cycles for the light to go out after unhooking/replacing battery .

it will go out after you ride it 3 times

rex007can

:bowdown

Thank you,  thank you,  thank you.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

MikeFromMT

Quote from: rex007can on April 05, 2014, 11:32:28 PM
Soon as I started it,  the engine light came on,  wouldn't turn off.
Went back and undid the fix,  light still on.

If you have an OBD2 scanner it can be used on your bike as well, I just replaced my charging system and had a cel, these bikes have a scanner port so I figured WTH I'll give it a try, turns out my codes were all just "gas tank was removed/battery was disconnected" insignificant stuff, I hit the erase button and no more codes.
Do I look like a man with a plan?

bilbob

Hi All,
New here, led here like many I presume, by the voltage fix!
However, I notice the pics are all missing from the first post, any chance anyone could repost please?
I've got trouble on my tiger, I've replaced the battery after, whilst it seemed to run fine once started, was not charging the battery. Thought it just battery so replaced that. Now, after doing so, I found some general diagnostics for Triumphs on another forum, and found I may have other issues... I've got 12.8v all off, 11.8 with full lights, no engine, 13.1 running, but only 12.5 as it revs... don't think that's going to charge it much...!

Any advice readily appreciated here, I've not had the bike that long, and fear I've bought something that someone else dumped as too much trouble... I've had one issue after another !!
:wheel

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

HockleyBoy

Quote from: bilbob on January 02, 2015, 12:59:10 PM
Hi All,
However, I notice the pics are all missing from the first post, any chance anyone could repost please?

Have a look at page 4 of this thread, that should help.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mustang

the guy who posted this mod removed his pics and is no longer a member  :bug_eye

lets just say he's an inmate somewhere else now . :bad

This mod won't help you though .
By the sounds of it you have a reg/rectifier that went tits up and probably the stator too .
It's very common on 955I's .
there is tons of info in the Girly section on aftermarket replacements that work better than OEM.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: bilbob on January 02, 2015, 12:59:10 PM
Hi All,
I've got trouble on my tiger, I've replaced the battery after, whilst it seemed to run fine once started, was not charging the battery. Thought it just battery so replaced that. Now, after doing so, I found some general diagnostics for Triumphs on another forum, and found I may have other issues... I've got 12.8v all off, 11.8 with full lights, no engine, 13.1 running, but only 12.5 as it revs... don't think that's going to charge it much...!

Any advice readily appreciated here, I've not had the bike that long, and fear I've bought something that someone else dumped as too much trouble... I've had one issue after another !!
:wheel

Look at Electrex World,  they have a trouble shooting guide here:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

They sell two types of Reg/rec;  the standard similar to the OEM and the MOSFET.  Myself and Chris Canning can both vouch for their MOSFET, just make sure to follow the instructions, particularly about the extra purple wire.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=tiger+reg+rec&ACTION=Search&PR=-1&TB=A

If the plug to the stator is in good condition (often they are melted and blackened) and the voltage coming off each coil is roughly the same, you'll get away with just changing the reg/rec.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

As an addition.
I have tried using the maxi fuse and holder, eventually I had the same problem with the melting fuse holder.
The bikes running high wattage lamps and heated grips but ridden all year round.
The solution as always is to over engineer and found great success with this.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.