News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleaverid

My mod is done and I was getting 14.8 volts at idle and 14.7 at higher RPM.  Nice engineering!  Up from 12.8-12.9 at idle. Now I'll just finish up my power block and be done with wiring for a bit.  My Datel meter should be here soon (been over 2 weeks since I ordered it) and I'll get that installed also.

Cleav
Always look downstream

Sasquatch

blacktiger

I read recently on ADV forum that one guy had routed his modified wires to the starter motor for the positive and the engine earth strap for the negative. This was because there's a nice big fat wire running straight to the battery from those two places. That thread wasn't so much about shortening the wires. More about increasing the gauge of the wires so that you don't get so much voltage drop.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

jays58

Just to be sure I understand:

I really need 2 of the fuse holders and will use one to run the red wires from the RR back to the + battery terminal and the other one to run the black wires back to the - battery terminal?  Thanks!
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Stretch

Just one fuse, on the leg to the Positive Battery Terminal.  The leg to the Negative Battery Terminal needs no fuse.

jays58

Thanks for the reply Stretch!  Got it - and am proceeding with this mod.  

--J
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Bob Tosi

QuoteUnhook the connector from the RR to the bikes harness. Tape off the connector coming from the bike, you will not be using it any more.

I am not quite seeing how voltage gets to the bikes system after this mod is done, because the connector to the bike is left un hooked.  It seems as though you are creating a loop from the battery to the RR and back.  
I basically get what is going on just a little misunderstanding on my part.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Stretch

You are disconnecting the charging system from the bike's wiring harness, bypassing a few feet of small-gauge wire.  In doing so, you are essentially wiring the output side of the R/R straight to the battery...

Bob Tosi

so how does the bike wiring harness receive power to run everything else if the RR goes straight to the battery?  Sorry I usually get this stuff when I do it myself.

Stretch

The bike receives its power from the battery... the big brown cable bolted to the Positive terminal.

The Voltage Fix puts alternator power straight into the battery terminals, and the bike gets what it needs from the same terminals.

You're not eliminating the wiring between the battery and the bike, just the excess wiring between the R/R and the battery.

Bob Tosi

Ahhhhh...its all clear now.  What is being done is eliminating the paralell part of the circuit, thus eliminating the voltage drop.  very cool indeed.

Thanks for holding my hand on that one.

MikeFromMT

Sorry Stretch but I was kind of scratching my head on this as well, sorry I haven't actually looked at the bike yet so I looked at my shop manual from the warm comfort of my office, perhaps this will help clear some confusion.
I too was wondering if this fix would simply isolate the RR from the other systems of the bike and wondered "why bother" but the wiring diagram makes it clear.

Item #70 is the RR, item #69 is the alternator.

[/img]
Do I look like a man with a plan?

Stretch

The diagram helps.

We see two Black wires coming out of the R/R (#70) going to Ground (#68 ).  With The Fix, they now go straight to the Negative battery terminal (#67).

We see two Brown wires coming out of the R/R (#70) going into the bike's wiring harness.  With The Fix, they now go straight to the Positive battery terminal (#67) through a 30-amp inline fuse.

That's it.

What The Sasquatch Fix does is remove a few feet of power-robbing small-gauge wire from the R/R-to-Battery circuits, and replaces it with short lengths of large-gauge wire, resulting in less resistance in the circuit,  and a bit more voltage reaching the battery.

Mini Mo

Hi Stretch/Sasquatch-
I'm gearing up for a 10 state 5000 mi ride in June. Since I've hooked up my elec. grips and ordered an elec. vest I thought I would play it safe with the Sasquatch fix. My '99 Tiger wiring looks nothing like what I'm seeing in the photos. I cannot find the connector that everyone is describing, nor the rectifier, even with the tank off. My alternator looks like it may have some type of internal R/R. Also my wiring diagram is completely different than yours. #66 is my alternator and they do not call out a R/R anywhere. What am I missing?
BTW, the voltage at idle is 3.9 - 4.0 when the bike is cold. Do I even need this fix?  Thanks for your help
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750

walker

that's correct - the 1999 and 2000 have a different charging system - it's all attached to the alternator. Nothing to bypass.

If you get the older triumph manual, it has the different wiring diagram included for the 885i motor.