News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

dead battery

Started by doc, December 08, 2007, 08:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc

i have a 2006 that was bougt new in feb. 07. tried to start today and it tuned over once then nothing. it was starting three weeks ago. seems like a short life for a battery. maybe the previous owner froze it last winter. am charging it now, any others have this sort of problem?
thanks, doc

JetdocX

Just the usual suspects like battery connections tight, electrolyte levels OK, etc.

If the current battery is not a sealed one, and it is fooked, you now have a good reason to buy one.

Plus a battery tender is probably a good idea.
From parts unknown.

Chris Canning

My 955 is 7 years old next may and is still on the original battery.

doc

Quote from: "JetdocX"Just the usual suspects like battery connections tight, electrolyte levels OK, etc.

If the current battery is not a sealed one, and it is fooked, you now have a good reason to buy one.

Plus a battery tender is probably a good idea.
the battery is sealed and the connections were tight. i have under ground parking with no power to plug in a tender. hope to do a winter ride once a month to keep the charge. i might try a new battery in the spring.
thanks, doc

TigerTrax

My '06 battery was shot in one year...
I think Brit electrons run right to left!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

Our batts electrons flow from positive to negative outside the source.

In Brittain, they rely on hole theory:  The absence of electrons (hole) flows from positive to negative outside the source.  

Semantics! :roll:

Now try to 'splain diodes, transistors and the like using either of the above for the class! :lol:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Quote from: "doc"the battery is sealed and the connections were tight. i have under ground parking with no power to plug in a tender. hope to do a winter ride once a month to keep the charge. i might try a new battery in the spring.
thanks, doc

Bring it into your house with you when you come in and hook it up to the tender for an extended period.  It might bring it back for you.  The problem with lead-acid batteries sitting for long periods in less than optimal states of charge is sulfidation.  Sometimes a tender can reverse some of the damage.  It's worth a try if you don't plan on riding for a while.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Don't place a battery near something you don't want to corrode.  I did that once... took the battery out of my boat for the winter and set it next to the bike (old chrome-laden cruiser).  Come spring, all the chrome and aluminum on that side of the bike was pitted and corroding.  Whoops.

Bike is sold and gone, but I certainly learned what NOT to do.