News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger wave

Started by haulin' daze, December 06, 2007, 03:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

I still have my CT-90... a '71 model.  I bought it for 75 bucks when I was 17.

TigerTrax

AAAAH.... the W A V E    !!

Is it a 'brotherhood' obligation, a sign of 'I BELONG Too', or merely
a reaction and afterwwards you mumble, " I don't even know that bastard."

Whatever the reason... it seems to be a topic of discussion amongst riders everywhere. Certainly worthy of careful scrutiny.

The guy on the cruiser with his 'low wave'. Maintaining his cool and
give a ()^& demeanor.

The couple on the H-D, driver with a 'low wave', pillion with an energetic,
full 5-finger spread, 'hi-yah' wave. Certainly little experience in
preserving 'cruiser kewel'.

Sport bikers like 'rest-on-the-bar' wave. Perhaps the best.

Dual sport/adventure riders do wave. It's a 'robust' palms up, finger spread 'sign-of-respect wave'. No motion. Like Jeremiah Johnson, grin, show your teeth, show no fear, respect a fellow A DE V E N T U R E R !!!
He's livin LARGE! Damned... that's the guy I want to ride with.. especially if my credit card was maxxed and we needed to have dinner at an Applebees!  
Then of course there's the GS riders .... some are OK.... but I find the ones wearing grey/yellow jackets .... don't seem that interested ! I think
Starbucks and Panera Bread immasculated them!

Wing riders seem to like the 'in-unison' 'full palm - HOW  wave.
Well choreographed, high points at the Hoot!

Cops don't wave.

Scooter riders can't wave.... they are hanging on for dear life.

City Cagers ..... just look and say, " What's that dumb )_(^(*&^$#$ want!

Out in farm/ranch country..... you better wave! If you don't..... and you
break down ...... when that guy is coming back from wherever he was going.... AND YOU DIDN'T WAVE..... he ain't gonna stop. He'll just let you stew for about 2-3 hours and come back to see how you're doing!

To Wave or NOT to Wave ..... interesting dilemna!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

FullMonte

Quote from: "WIDGIN"Yes, we need to get another micro-rally together.  If we could get all the Tiger riders in Atlanta metro together, we'd have a fair sized crowd. 8)

There's at least 3 here in Chattavegas.  The last time I rode to Suches there were 2 in the lot at Dales (including mine).  I'd be up for a Tiger ride in north GA.  There's a nice dualsport loop in the Cohutta Wilderness/Cherokee Nat Forest that consists of 70+ miles of dirt roads.

iceweazel

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Sport bikers like 'rest-on-the-bar' wave. Perhaps the best.

Cops don't wave.

Scooter riders can't wave.... they are hanging on for dear life.

Now see around here it's not like that. Both the cops AND the scooter riders,of which there are about a zillion recently due to the local mega-university (OSU) and sudden proliferation of scooter stores,  wave back.    Hell the cops here ride Hogs and are 1000% better about it than regular V-Twin riders.      

I find that Most of the Hog and 'other' V-twin riders don't wave to anyone save other wannabees.   Perhaps they are too busy hanging onto that vibration for dear life?

All the adv and adv-like riders wave back.  Even the 'packs' of sport bike riders with their helmets fastened to the side of their bikes. (thats the 'cool' thing to do now)  Sometimes I feel like I'm in Japan the way those sport bikers travel around of late.  (bosozoku)

Oddly when I travel the roads it tends to vary only SLIGHTLY from place to place, except in Canada where pretty much damn near everyone on two wheels including bicyclists wave.

aebbern

Found it interesting on my Great Divide ride this summer... everyone waves out in the backcountry.  Farmers in trucks, pedestrians, cyclists, etc, etc.  Doesn't matter what you are riding or driving - lots of waving going on... I loved it!

Cheers,
Andy
\'02 Triumph Tiger
\'04 Suzuki DR650
\'79 Laverda 1200

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Out in farm/ranch country..... you better wave!

Oh that is a good point. In really rural parts, people in their pickups, on their harvesting equipment, tractors, etc. will wave to you. When you come through you are so much more interesting than corn. All day, the corn...wake up to the corn; work in the corn all day, go to bed thinking about corn; wake up to the corn--HEY! An orange motorcycle!--back to the corn...It's almost like a charitable act to wave to them. Plus, yeah, that whole breaking down 70 miles from a gas station thing.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

CBAT

Riding in Texas ranch country, waving is part of keeping up good relations with the ranchers. Many of them consider the dirt county roads as their personal private roads. Waving to pickups and riding slow through the cattle herds so as not to make the coos run into trees and fences keeps the ranchers happy and less likely to complain to the local sheriff who can really ruin your day. That being said, I also wave to anyone on two wheels with a motor. I usually honk at bicycles so they know I'm coming around and don't wander out in my groove.  :lol:
Bruce

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Stretch"I still have my CT-90... a '71 model.  I bought it for 75 bucks when I was 17.

I've got a '67. It's my unrestored daily driver rat bike. No key - just a toggle for the ignition. I figure if someone can start it and figure out how to ride it they can have it (Autoclutch, 4 down shift, etc. - not your typical bike at all). I'm restoring a CL90 now and have an early '66 CT that's powdercoated, but in parts waiting for the engine rebuild. Lots of folks seem to have these bikes and they're great for riding around town when the streets aren't covered in ice and temps are above 0F.

Bruin'
Bruin\'

Stretch

I'd like to restore mine.  When I was a teenager I swapped the front fender for a high-mount MX fender (my first   :mrgreen:  ), but now regret having thrown away the original.  I bought one off eBay last year, along with a kickstarter (I broke mine a few years back), but the parts are still sitting in my shop.

paulie

i wave at everyone on two wheels, but in this area i seem to only get responses from sport or touring bikes. scooters and HDs never seem to wave back.  :roll:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650