News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear wheel spins @ idle when on centerstand

Started by paulie, November 30, 2007, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

is this normal? my tiger is still quite new to me as I've only had her a few weeks. Still trying to figure her out. (could say that about my significant other of 6 years!  :lol: )

anyway, so the bike is on the centerstand. i fire it up, and the rear wheel spins, despite the bike being in neutral.

doesnt seem right, but is this cause for worry?

i can stop the spinning with my hand and not feel any pressure -- it doesnt want to keep spinning. with the wheel stopped by hand, the bike doesnt sound like its "trying" to spin it either -- no audible difference. i can even spin it in reverse quite easily. but whenever i let go, it returns to spinning slowly.

any thoughts?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

tcbezza

I have three bikes and they all do this to some extent, more so when the engine is cold. I have always thought that it is caused by the drag generated by the oil in the gearbox causing some transfer of drive when the gearbox input shaft is rotating.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

Stretch

Your bike is toast.  I'll give you a hundred bucks for it.

noivson

Sure is, I'm closer, and I'll bump the offer to $125....if it's Orange  :D

Really ride more- Worry less     :wink:
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

paulie

Quote from: "noivson"Really ride more- Worry less     :wink:

i like this.. i will abide!

hehe, seriously though.. theres a joker in every crowd! sometimes two!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

thanks for the replies you guys. the worrying has ceased!
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

CvPiper

That is correct, basically the oil is viscous enough to generate enough drive to spin the rear wheel as the input spins very close to the output shaft.

So nothing to worry about unless its forcing it round and won't stop by putting your hand on it.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

zombie

Quote from: "paulie"is this normal? my tiger is still quite new to me as I've only had her a few weeks. Still trying to figure her out. (could say that about my significant other of 6 years!  :lol: )

anyway, so the bike is on the centerstand. i fire it up, and the rear wheel spins, despite the bike being in neutral.

doesnt seem right, but is this cause for worry?

i can stop the spinning with my hand and not feel any pressure -- it doesnt want to keep spinning. with the wheel stopped by hand, the bike doesnt sound like its "trying" to spin it either -- no audible difference. i can even spin it in reverse quite easily. but whenever i let go, it returns to spinning slowly.

any thoughts?

and when your really bored you could always try and spin it by hand in the opposite direction and see how long it takes to stop and go the other way
there that takes care of friday night
Brilliant :twisted:

2004Tiger

This question is one of the clues to perceiving that this person is a former BMW owner, and doesn't wish to reveal his past.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

TigerTrax

Of course this is the brilliant engineering we find at Triumph....
it allows one to clean or oil their chain most efficiently.

Then of course there is the reverse engineering feat that allows the OEM
centerstand to fail ......

and if you happen to be 'hunkered down' cleaning/oiling your chain.......

you may find that getting that Tiger off your back is a bitch......

but of course you won't be worrying about that ......

you'll be praying that your spouse heard your screams and is dialing 911..

and those boys will lift the bike off you.

You see.... it all works out in the end.......

your bikes okay ......

and you'll be able to ride again in 6 weeks!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

HappyMan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Of course this is the brilliant engineering we find at Triumph....
it allows one to clean or oil their chain most efficiently.

Then of course there is the reverse engineering feat that allows the OEM
centerstand to fail ......

and if you happen to be 'hunkered down' cleaning/oiling your chain.......

you may find that getting that Tiger off your back is a bitch......

but of course you won't be worrying about that ......

you'll be praying that your spouse heard your screams and is dialing 911..

and those boys will lift the bike off you.

You see.... it all works out in the end.......

your bikes okay ......

and you'll be able to ride again in 6 weeks!

:D  :D   That was great!!!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

blacktiger

Quote from: "CvPiper"That is correct, basically the oil is viscous enough to generate enough drive to spin the rear wheel as the input spins very close to the output shaft.

Not quite right.
The gearbox is "constant mesh" which means the gears are meshed all the time. The thing that selects a particular gear ratio is the "dogs" machined into the side of each gear, engaging when a gear is slid sideways to engage another. Otherwise the gears just spin freely on the gear shafts.
In neutral (with the engine running), the input shaft is spinning all the time, driven through the engaged clutch. The reason your back wheel spins is because the cold and vicous oil within the input shaft gear cluster is dragging the gears around with it, which turns the gears on the output shaft (because they're constantly meshed). And the oil withing the output shaft gear cluster drags the output shaft around. Which drives the chain and, therefore your wheel. It's actually a good and safe method of oiling your chain. Because if you do catch your finger in the sprockets the wheel will stop before chopping your digit off. Still hurts though.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

iansoady

Unfortunately it doesn't happen when the engine is hot which is when I want to put chain wax on. I always worry it's going to leap off the centre stand and ride itself off down the street when I put it in gear and I'm round the back with my aerosol......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650