News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Powering Corners

Started by WIDGIN, August 18, 2007, 05:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

Good points Perfal, and I agree with most of what you say. I think "point de corde" may translate to "apex", although what you describe is very much what the UK IAM teach in terms of looking for the "vanishing point".

There is a school of thought known as "point and squirt" which keeps the wide line further than you would describe then uses a fairly strong countersteering input to tighten the line up but in practice there's little difference between the two. If you're interested, there are some threads here http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113400 and here http://www.visordown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194585 as well as loads of others on the same forum.

I did understand that the MSF in the USA taught the "Look, lean, roll" technique which again is consistent with what you say here.

I have to say that the advice of "open the throttle" may work for some experienced riders especially on loose surfaces but could easily be disatrous for others.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

WIDGIN

Perfal,

The steps to get a motorcycle license in the US vary from state to state but are rather weak.  A rider must schedule a visit to show proficiency to an inspector.  Unfortunately, this means that if you ride around a small course in a parking lot wthout falling, running over the cones, or failing to stop at stop signs, you pass and can legally ride anything on 2 wheels. :roll:  This results in a large number of new riders on fast motorcycles becoming accident statistics.  There are some training classes but they are optional. Because of this lack of good training, I caution people not to try learning to ride on the street as an adult.
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

CBAT

Funny thing, when I got my license 30 years ago in Texas you had to go on a ride with a state trooper following in a car. I had to watch to the rear as he would give directions using his turn signals. I had a perfect score with one exception. When I came to a stop at a stop sign, I neglected to put a foot down. I came to a complete stop but balanced the little enduro bike on the wheels. Honda 175  He took five points off for showing off.  :lol: AT least that's what he said.
Bruce

blacktiger

Quote from: "WIDGIN"Perfal,

The steps to get a motorcycle license in the US vary from state to state but are rather weak.  A rider must schedule a visit to show proficiency to an inspector.  Unfortunately, this means that if you ride around a small course in a parking lot wthout falling, running over the cones, or failing to stop at stop signs, you pass and can legally ride anything on 2 wheels.

This is why, when I rented a GS12 out of LA this May~June and rode up to the top of Washington State and back, I found that the USA is the only country that I have riden in where it's the motorcyclist holding up the camper vans.
I was astounded when I made my way to the front of a long traffic convoy down Highway 1 to find a group of 4 bikes dawdling along holding everything up. When I put myself in amongst them they all panicked and went all sorts of directions as I disappeared over the horizon. Tossers.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

nightrunner

Good comments here.  Most of you have probably heard of it but I think The Pace is worth mentioning again.   It focuses on smooth cornering.

http://www.micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

Also +1 on looking far ahead.  This was streesed at Larry Grodsky's Stayin' Safe course (yes they are still teaching it).   If on a twisty mountain road, use the trees and landscape to map the curves ahead when the pavement is not visible.  Other good tips here:

http://www.stayinsafe.com/safety.shtml
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Perfal

Quote from: "nightrunner"Good comments here.  Most of you have probably heard of it but I think The Pace is worth mentioning again.   It focuses on smooth cornering.

http://www.micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

Great link ! I couldn't have said any better - especially in english... ! That perfectly describes the way my mates and I are actually riding - I would only add the satisfaction I get trying not to use the brakes at all.

And regarding this particular point :"We've all rushed into a corner too fast and experienced not just the terror but the lack of control when trying to herd the bike into the bend." It reminds me of a few bad experiences I had before I really learned how to ride - that's what we sometimes call here in France "owl corners" : big eyes, little asshole... !
Perfal
\'03 Tiger, France.

Some ride pics : http://picasaweb.google.fr/perfal

WIDGIN

Both great links with lots of good info. Thanks.  :D  :D
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

paulie

gassing it through corners is something that was stressed early and often in my MSF class. our instructor would make us do the maneuvers over until we applied the gas to his liking...

Quote"owl corners" : big eyes, little asshole... !

:lol:  thats GREAT! hope you don't mind if i use that!

i'm a pretty new rider (~2 years) that had absolutely no experience at all before taking the MSF class(besides mopeds and ATVs). learned a lot of valuable skills and habits that have definitely saved me from both injury and embarassment. i found the teachings spot on. that class is actually where i learned the term ATGATT! the first couple days with the tiger contained a couple of "owl corners" as i wasn't quite used to the throttle and clutch and how they interacted with each other on this particular bike.

our instructor also stressed that you should always respect your machine and its capabilities. that lesson alone has made me so much more comfortable to "switch bikes" with more experienced riders, so that I can experience what other bikes feel like to ride for myself.

anyway, i can't say enough good things about the class and the instructor i had. what a great old chap, he really knew his stuff!

EDIT: I would also like to point out that even with my fairly limited experience, i always seem to see other riders do things that make me shake my head in disgust. it's not that i think i'm a better rider.. perhaps just smarter. that may also be a testament to the MSF class -- smarter riders?
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

oldrider

It's interesting reading about other folks opinions theories and riding experiences.

I have been riding assorted motorcycles almost continuously for 54 years.

I have only one claim to fame, I am still here!

I still ride my bike (06 Tiger) as often as I can.

I still get it wrong now and then.

I still seem to learn something new every time I ride my bike.

I invariably do something stupid every now and again.

I still despise rules and regulations and being told what to do.

I love having my wife on the pillion.

I like it when we can safely look forward to the next ride.

I (unrealistically) keep hoping it will never end. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.