News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine needs warming up

Started by waltconrad, May 05, 2008, 06:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltconrad

I had my 05 tiger sitting for about a year.I took it in to the dealer for a check ,everything ok.i rode it for a week no problem. now when I start it it will idle in neutral but will labor and stall if i try and open the throttle.after a few minutes the bike will rev up and run fine.It's like my old POS 65 plymoth fury 3 used to act on cool days in So Cal winter.I'm in Vegas and it's hot here. Also i noticed the manual calls for 90 octaine gas.I think the 1st 6000 miles were on 87,i just filled it with 89. I don't run much over 6000 rpm and I up shift at 4000 or 5000, I'm I running at too low rpm? What will 87 octain do to the engine, can i run regular or mid grade without damaging it? Any ideas on why the bike won't rev up when cold? Thanks all
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

iansoady

Has the engine malfunction light come on? It sounds as though the coolant temperature sensor isn't working.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

waltconrad

Quote from: "iansoady"Has the engine malfunction light come on? It sounds as though the coolant temperature sensor isn't working.
The engine light isn't on. the throttle is kind of sticky. I try to ease it open but it sticks closed and then lets go and i over rev the engine.It only took a few seconds to get reved up just now when i started it.

JetdocX

Buy the lowest grade gas you can.  Does the engine knock?  Then up the octane grade by one knotch.  

My steamer red line is around 8k.  Where is yours?  Don't be afraid to wring it's neck.  They like that kind of treatment.

And take a really good look at your throttle cable ends.  Any fraying is cause for immediate replacement, cuz it sucks to walk.  And it really sucks to push that heavy pig through the desert with all your gear on.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

a really good tip / trick for steamers with a broken throttle cable .

Use the choke to get the engine speed up to around 4 or 5k and tigger will get you home with broken throttle cable .

it's not really a choke but an enrichener the engine will run fine just rev high enuff to let you ride it home and you can also use the choke lever to control your speed if you are getting too fast in traffic ! :wink:
Been there Done that , works great !

A steamer will not leave you stranded ! just another perk the girlies lost with FI  :lol:

Stretch

Quote from: "Mustang"A steamer will not leave you stranded !

Two words:

Sprague.

Coils.

:mrgreen:

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"
Quote from: "Mustang"A steamer will not leave you stranded !

Two words:

Sprague.

Coils.

:mrgreen:
you can always push it to start it and the coils when they fail are only one at a time so it still runs ..............nyah nyah nyah . :wings
even when the igniter pick up coil failed on me I got it home by pouring cold water on the engine cover every time it died till we got HOME , albeit took awhile with it dying every 3-5 miles ..........it was a long 30 miles . :wink:
You do realize I hope that I am only   goofin on ya' :twisted:
I like all the tigers even the new one .
I just haven't been able to kill my steamer in ten years time so I guess I am stuck with it till the end of time !  :shock:

NortonCharlie

QuoteThe engine light isn't on. the throttle is kind of sticky. I try to ease it open but it sticks closed and then lets go and i over rev the engine.
The throttle shouldn't stick closed.  Could be gum in the throttle bodies but I doubt it, probably something wrong with the throttle position sensor.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

waltconrad

The Mech retuned it and cleaned the injectors. It's reportedly running great now. Thanks for all the replies guys.

waltconrad

I picked the bike up.The mech said there was some varnish on the trottle plates from the bike sitting so long.He seemed to think that was a very bad thing so he cleaned them up.

Stretch

Always good when its something simple.

Stretch

Quote from: "Mustang"You do realize I hope that I am only   goofin on ya' :twisted:

Ab-so-rute-ry, hence the smiley  >>>>  :mrgreen:

NortonCharlie

QuoteCould be gum in the throttle bodies but I doubt it,
I guess I shouldn't have doubted it.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Digger3

Quote from: "waltconrad"I picked the bike up.The mech said there was some varnish on the trottle plates from the bike sitting so long.He seemed to think that was a very bad thing so he cleaned them up.

The throttle plates come from the factory with varnish on them, it seals the throttle plates to throttle bodies when at idle and they are closed.  I recently cleaned mine up and re-did the seal points with thinned out hard Permatex.
Rage Against Age

Stretch

I hear ya, but the gummy residue left by old, broken down gasoline is also called varnish.  I once left my Honda XL250's petcock on, and didn't run the bike for over a year, and a tank full of gas evaporated through the carb vents.  The varnish in the bottom of the float bowls was over a millimeter thick, and completely sealed over the main jets.  Bleh!