News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Quick question for you guys/gals

Started by Dr. Mordo, May 13, 2008, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Mordo

I asked this over at F650.com also, but Jetdoc feel free to respond twice.

I need a helmet, and am bouncing back and forth between a used Schuberth C1 and a worn once Sy-Max II, they are priced about the same.

Obviously the Schuberth is nicer, but what do y'all think about used helmets? I have heard that even if the haven't been wrecked they can be a bad idea because the foam inside deteriorates.

Which would you buy and why?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

As long as it doesn't smell like pee........ :lol:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Used helmets are not a safe idea they are a cheap idea but not safe .
I have a couple of older helmets and either my head shrunk or the foam innards of the helmet did . there is no way these two even fit anymore and they are only now good for parking lot tipovers , I don't believe they would help much in a real world get off , move around too much on your head .............my .02 cents

Stretch

Here's a thread on ADVrider from January about a fellow that took a spill, and he describes the damage to his helmet...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305372

Cosmetically, it's not too bad...

And a closup of the chip he circled in the first photo...

But look at the way the foam collapsed under that innocent-looking chip...

This helmet took one hell of a lick, and in doing so saved the life of its wearer.  It is now time to retire this helmet, being grateful for its good and faithful service.

Hopefully, nobody would sell a used helmet in this condition, but just as a cautionary word among friends... it's generally a good idea to avoid used helmets for this reason.  A lot of the time, we simply do not know the history of a used item.

This helmet should never be used again, and to avoid some penny-wise rider from getting his hands on it, it ought to be destroyed or put to some other purpose...

Dr. Mordo

Ok, thanks very much for the advice.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Bimjo

As the owner of the featured helmet I can certainly warrant the fact that I'm typing this solely because the helmet gave its life to save mine.

As near as I can tell (since I don't remember the crash- imagine that) after I was ejected from the high side I landed on the back of my head causing the damage shown, plus the left side hinge was broken (Nolan N102) leaving the chinbar hanging from the right side hinge.

I'd never buy a used helmet for the reasons Stretch stated- you just never know what a helmet has been through. I honestly felt a chill go up my back when I pulled the foam from the shell on this one. It's no wonder I don't remember the accident. That foam is damn hard to compress like that.

This helmet is destined to become a lamp. I just haven't decided if it'll be a hanging one or a table lamp. The hanging planter idea has merit as well. Decisions, decisions...

Found this thread in my server logs & just wanted to stop in and add my $0.02. Oh, BTW- I'm back on a new Strom & I'm wearing a new version of the helmet shown here.

Y'all ride safe!

wvmike

The new version,is it also a flip up? I gather by what I read that the flip up stayed closed. I wear a flip up now and also skined one up. Thinking about straying from a flip up,but they are convenient when ya wanna stop for a short drink or look at a map etc... Any thoughts on flip ups?
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

John Stenhouse

Flip ups are fine as long as you only ride with them CLOSED
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bimjo

Quote from: "wvmike"The new version,is it also a flip up? I gather by what I read that the flip up stayed closed. I wear a flip up now and also skined one up. Thinking about straying from a flip up,but they are convenient when ya wanna stop for a short drink or look at a map etc... Any thoughts on flip ups?

Yes, the new one is another Nolan N102 flip up. I can't say if it stayed closed or not as I had already taken my helmet off when they came back to find me, but in all the flippin' & floppin' I was doing there's no damage anywhere on the helmet but the back so there's a good chance it did stay closed.

Actually you can still manipulate the face bar open and closed, the hinge is just broken. It still latches in the closed position. I too considered going closed face, but I wear glasses and the flip is too convenient not to use.

And I figured that if it'd take a shot like it did and not turn my brains (permanently) into scrambled eggs there really wasn't a reason not to get another one.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Dr. Mordo"I need a helmet, and am bouncing back and forth between a used Schuberth C1 and a worn once Sy-Max II, they are priced about the same.

I take it by C1 you mean the "Concept"? But why piss around? Buy the best, buy a Schuberth C2.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Dr. Mordo

I would love a C2, but I am somewhat of a cheapskate.  The C1 was a couple of years old and used so the dude was asking $150 for it.

I also can't try a Schuberth on anywhere around here, which gives me pause.  Although, I do have a BMW System 4, which was made by Schuberth so I guess the fit is similar.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Stretch

Hi, Bimjo.  I've been a regular on ADV for a couple years, and immediately thought of your thread as soon as the subject of used helmets came up.

Glad you're still with us and back in the saddle.

Bimjo

Thanks Stretch, I'm kinda glad to be here too. ;)