News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wheel bearings

Started by Mudhen, December 24, 2007, 01:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

A month or so ago I removed my wheels to fit some tires, and the condition of my axles was horrid.  I had to pound out the rear one, and it was disgusting...rusted and gross.  Last time I had it out was over the summer, so not really that long ago.

Any of you guys done this on a steamer before?  Did you have to replace the inner spacers?  I'm trying to come up with a parts list and order before I tear into it to save some time.  I know I need the outer wheel spacers - they're grooved real bad, which I'm assuming is the cause of the water getting inside to the bearings.  Although at 42k miles it's probably time, anyway.

I gave my dealer a list of some parts to get a comparison between them and BikeBandit.  Hopefully they'll be close.  I'm up to about $400 so far...

So bearings, outer spacers, seals...anything else?

Thanks
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

Mine were OK when I had my wheels off last week.  Only 27K miles, though and it's pretty dry around these parts.
From parts unknown.

CBAT

MIne only has 16,000 on her and when I did tires a couple months ago the axles were perfect, no rust just a little grime/grease that wiped right off. Sorry, no help here. I know of no other sources other than bike bandit and the local dealer which comes pretty close to BB.
Bruce

blacktiger

I'm just doing this job on my 48K 955i although in my case it's just for peace of mind. Unusually, all the bearings fitted originally were double grease sealed and still in reasonable condition. So I've replaced with the same type. My spacers were also heavily grooved and I've replaced them and the seals too.
It sounds like whom ever had the wheels out previously didn't put any grease on the spindle or around the seals when they put it all back together. A huge smudge of grease will help to keep the moisture out.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.