News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine worries

Started by tediem, February 02, 2004, 12:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Well when it comes to offroad tunes,i reckon i could right a book!!,they vary a lot,i use my Tiger for mainly touring Europe,so when you've been on the road for 9 or 10 hours you notice the slightest niggle,i had a new tune put into the bike just before we set of for a trip to southern Spain and Portugal,(I think it was 14)on the way to the catch the ferry at Portsmouth,travelling at between 90 and 110 it must have been doing 60 to the gallon!!!!and the pick up of the throttle on the bottom end was fantastic but it was running that lean,the vibration through the bars was incredible,had to suffer it untill we got to Valencia were i got the local triumph dealer to put and old Tune in,not so good on the throttle response,or mpg but killed the vibes,when i got back to the UK,took it back to the dealer and he put another tune in which has been a good one,but strangely enough he told me he had the very latest one just come in,but hadn't tried it,and didn't want to use me as the guinea pig after the hassle i'd had.

Chris

tenpaq

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Well when it comes to offroad tunes,i reckon i could right a book!!,they vary a lot,i use my Tiger for mainly touring Europe,so when you've been on the road for 9 or 10 hours you notice the slightest niggle,i had a new tune put into the bike just before we set of for a trip to southern Spain and Portugal,(I think it was 14)on the way to the catch the ferry at Portsmouth,travelling at between 90 and 110 it must have been doing 60 to the gallon!!!!and the pick up of the throttle on the bottom end was fantastic but it was running that lean,the vibration through the bars was incredible,had to suffer it untill we got to Valencia were i got the local triumph dealer to put and old Tune in,not so good on the throttle response,or mpg but killed the vibes,when i got back to the UK,took it back to the dealer and he put another tune in which has been a good one,but strangely enough he told me he had the very latest one just come in,but hadn't tried it,and didn't want to use me as the guinea pig after the hassle i'd had.

Chris

wow, now thats some INPUT. dats what i needed to hear! my bike has no surges or roughness anywhere in the power band. i just have my little pipe and airbox mods , 18 tooth couner shaft sprocket  and stock tune. my average riding temp. down here in florida is 80deg. far.(sea level)  so my stock tune with my freer flowin mods will always remain inside the "parameters" of the said stock tune. as far as operating my bike in 30 deg. far. temp or less, I have no idea if it would be lean.  i forgot that a lot of you Chaps are from the" other side of the pond"!!   I too cruise at about 80 to 100 mph on the flats hear in florida on my way to go fishing and to the beach for surfing. so as for me after this little discussion on "pipes" and "Maps" i think i`ll leave my bike the way it is and spend the $ on a new 9`4" longboard , cause i`m surfing Dakar Africa in the first 2 weeks in june.

p.s..  with 18 tooth counter, my bike still pulls long low power wheelies (about 50 ft.long and 1.5 ft high) coming out of redlights in 2nd gear. you get caught with your "wheel in the air" here in florida , they Impound it!

wow, maybe a beemer would have been safer,ABSand no wheel in the air.....naaaaaahhhhhh!!!
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

tediem

Thanks for the advice. I took it back and they echoed what most of you have said, looks like I am going to have to learn to live with it and it characteristics. Took it out for a 300 mile run over the w/e and found it to be very comfortable, more so that the TDM I swopped it for. Got about 45 to the gallon, is that about right?

Cheers

Mark

tediem

Thanks for the advice. I took it back and they echoed what most of you have said, looks like I am going to have to learn to live with it and it characteristics. Took it out for a 300 mile run over the w/e and found it to be very comfortable, more so that the TDM I swopped it for. Got about 45 to the gallon, is that about right?

Cheers

Mark

pip 885

i`ve recently purchaced a triumph race can off e bay, when i opened the box there was a note inside saying that there was a link pipe available to replace the mid section of exhaust, i have had no success in finding said pipe and am wondering if i should just fit it with the mid section i have and weather this would affect the noise and performance? :?  has anyone else done this, or has anyone got a spare link pipe laying around in there garage they wish to sell :lol:
1999 yellow 885i